Hello from Pennsylvania

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
"They say always get a greenhouse bigger than you think you need. I was going to get the 8 x 12, and opted for the larger 8 x 16. Wonder how long it will be before I'm tip-toeing around in it." [MoonShadows]

I would lay money on it being way too small after you have used it for two full winters/springs. By that time you will be pulling out your hair wondering why you didn't go with the 10' x 20' building. Trust me, my sun room is 8' x 12' and way too small to enjoy a seat with a view.

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am so glad I only drive in the mornings now, and only when they need me. I like the kids, but not when I have a bus of 50 - 3rd and 4th graders, some of whom are on the bus for over an hour!

Here's a pic of the greenhouse we bought. 8x 16. Can't wait for it to get here. (Although, it is already looking a bit small!)

mt-rainier.jpg

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes.

Jim

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jim
That is one pretty greenhouse! I am green with envy. :D
My bus route is A.M. and P.M. Pre-K through 6th! Some days they are beyond Squirrely. I find myself thinking I must be NUTS :he to do this job.
Carol Dee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good size for a big start in the garden year. Remember, a greenhouse isn't for storage or the recliner and hammock ;). Even potting soil can be carted in & out. Shelves above and below the main bench can be used for growing. Finally, a hoopie outdoors helps not only with overflow but with hardening-off. But no, 8 by 16 is a good size.

Thanks for the information on an insulated foundation. Maybe for my next one ...

:) Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are so wrong, digitS'! I have my tenders in pots on rollers because I need to move them around so I can get to all the plants growing in there. No room for relaxation unless I sit inside the TV room and look through the patio door.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we where given the tour of Martha s greenhouses, one had a table about 10 feet wide packed with plants. As I was wondering how they took care of plants in middle, her gardener said watch this, and just pulled the table apart. Table was made up of 4 sections that where on rollers.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got a Martha Stewart story.

Scenario -- it is a quiet Sunday afternoon a couple of weeks ago and a young lady is straightening out Grandma's pantry. "Jeepers, you have so many weird things hidden in back of your cereal boxes. Why?" questions the young lass.

"It's just a few things like liquor and items Martha Stewart said were needed in a well-planned pantry," is Grandmother's reply.

"Martha Stewart says! Martha Stewart says! My God, woman, think for yourself!" Gypsy shouts, sounding for all the world just like her sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Swain.

"A tour of Martha's greenhouses!" Drool and sobs! I'll bet her first 6' x 8' greenhouse was too small from day one.

Latest posts