Hello from South Eastern Pennsylvania!

JalapenosinDelco

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello and thank you!
So far:
Tomatoes, various sizes, a few hot pepper varieties, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant.
Will also be direct sowing some sweet corn, carrots, herbs, spring onions, leeks, and hopefully strawberries.
I usually start my seeds indoors around February and plant late April to early May, depending on the weather.
What have you got planned for this spring?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here on the Gulf Coast I'm now enjoying beets, turnips, spinach. lettuce, kale, mustard greens, collard greens, and chard. Hopefully my Brussels sprouts will reach harvest size soon, they are slow. Around March 1st I'll direct seed things like corn and beans plus transplant things like tomatoes and eggplant. That's why I said I can't help you on timing.

When I was in northwest Arkansas I'd start seeds indoors in February to transplant around the first of May. First of may is when I'd direct sow things like beans and corn. But I'd direct seed cool weather crops like beets, lettuce, carrots, peas, chard, kale, and potatoes in late February. plus transplant cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli. I'd have to cover those occasionally with sheets to protect against frost or freeing but it usually worked out. My frost and freeze norms there were probably different to yours.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:welcome from Central Illinois! I was born in Philly, family moved to West Chester when I was 3yo, lived on Phoenixville Pike, moved again to Chicagoland when I was 8yo. Looks like you are zone 6b, warmer than me. I watch Mid American Gardener, out of the University of Illinois (40 minutes north of me) and a recent recommendation for starting indoor plants was to use a small desk-type fan to harden up your starts. I used to be able to start more plants indoors, but, we live out in the country, took in 3 orphaned 3 week old kittens (almost 2 years ago) and now they dig anything that they can find, so I have to use the top of the fridge and be creative where I grow indoors in the winter.
I wait 2 weeks beyond the recommendations for transplanting. It's kinda like buying plants at a box store garden center, that are potbound and big, and putting them out in the garden. Doesn't hurt anything

JalapenosinDelco

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
All ao
Here on the Gulf Coast I'm now enjoying beets, turnips, spinach. lettuce, kale, mustard greens, collard greens, and chard. Hopefully my Brussels sprouts will reach harvest size soon, they are slow. Around March 1st I'll direct seed things like corn and beans plus transplant things like tomatoes and eggplant. That's why I said I can't help you on timing.

When I was in northwest Arkansas I'd start seeds indoors in February to transplant around the first of May. First of may is when I'd direct sow things like beans and corn. But I'd direct seed cool weather crops like beets, lettuce, carrots, peas, chard, kale, and potatoes in late February. plus transplant cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli. I'd have to cover those occasionally with sheets to protect against frost or freeing but it usually worked out. My frost and freeze norms there were probably different to yours.
All sounds amazing to me!
I wish I could plant in March!
Our ground will most likely still be frozen 😕

JalapenosinDelco

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:welcome from Central Illinois! I was born in Philly, family moved to West Chester when I was 3yo, lived on Phoenixville Pike, moved again to Chicagoland when I was 8yo. Looks like you are zone 6b, warmer than me. I watch Mid American Gardener, out of the University of Illinois (40 minutes north of me) and a recent recommendation for starting indoor plants was to use a small desk-type fan to harden up your starts. I used to be able to start more plants indoors, but, we live out in the country, took in 3 orphaned 3 week old kittens (almost 2 years ago) and now they dig anything that they can find, so I have to use the top of the fridge and be creative where I grow indoors in the winter.
I wait 2 weeks beyond the recommendations for transplanting. It's kinda like buying plants at a box store garden center, that are potbound and big, and putting them out in the garden. Doesn't hurt anything
So happy to meet you!
I lived on fabric row for 5 years, and it was amazing!!! but not as easy when you have kids.
Yes, little kitties do love to dig. I used to have acat that dug and went to the bathroom in my plants, so hopefully you’ll avoid that!

How does the fan “harden up” the starts exactly? By offering them a slightly cooler temp than in the room? Very interesting idea.

I just recently looked at when I should be staring seeds indoors and it was a lot later than I had been doing it. I thought I might be messing them up starting too early.

I’ve only ever once gotten Brussels sprouts to fully form... and they were devoured by a greedy wood chuck. 😿

JalapenosinDelco

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
All ao

All sounds amazing to me!
I wish I could plant in March!
Our ground will most likely still be frozen 😕
I did try and grow some beets, carrots, kale, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and lettuce... however most of it had been eaten by a vole who is wintering in the lovely, warm hoophouse.
I swear I’ve never seen as many animals in my yard until I started planting vegetables!!!! 😾

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
W
Just checking if there are any other nearby residents planting seeds to start this winter.
I was curious when you start the seeds indoors and when are you transplanting outdoors?
Thanks!😸
Welcome to the forums from the Philippines!! Let's share some knowledge while getting some... You have a great day!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi there :frow and Welcome!

I was just going on a bit yesterday about how I don't garden where the Brandywine tomato comes from. But, you nearly do!

That is, if that heirloom is from the banks of the Brandywine, in southeastern Pennsylvania. If it was first offered by Burpee Seed Co or Stokes Seed Co both in southeast Pennsylvania - stands to reason ;).

Steve

Latest posts