Hello from 'sunny' Sussex, England

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello fellow gardeners. I joined for the beans but I'm discovering there's a whole lot more going on here! Looking forward to participating in discussions, and there's so much to learn from you all I'm sure.
I'm an avid seedsaver and I do a little bit of plant-breeding, too. I very much enjoy researching garden history and my favourite crop, the princely pea, tends to have varieties with a lot of documented references. Certainly helps with detective work with comes with conserving old seeds!

The weather here in the south of England is increasingly unpredictable, which makes assessing some varieties from one season to the next a challenge. We just had one of the sunniest, driest, and frostiest Aprils on record, followed by one of the wettest Mays since records began (I think it was THE wettest May in Wales). This June hasn't been much of an improvement, and it's Planet of the Slugs round here. But the lettuces are gigantic, and my beloved peas are loving it :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from the San Francisco bay area! I love England and have only been there once. I remember walking through so many gardens and my husband sneezing away with his allergies, haha. One of my favorite towns was Sulfolk. We stayed in a 16th century Bed and Breakfast and the woman was so charming with a lovely garden.

Mary

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome from Canada @Triffid! Happy to have a pea grower on the forum! I'm a pea fan too and my garden this year also has a number of varieties (I found 'Gravedigger' and 'Harrison's Glory'!), and I'm always on the hunt for old and historical varieties. One of my favourite published gardeners lives in East Anglia.

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. slugs and garlic butter go well together...
Sounds delightful! 🤔 I'm harvesting the garlic this week, too...

@heirloomgal Which gardener is that? I've done a couple of pea shares with Canadians, and even received Gravedigger and Harrison's Glory from an Ontario gardener :) Maybe I'll have something of interest to you at the end of the season.

@ninnymary Suffolk? East Anglia is popular here. It's a beautiful county, quite a bit aways from E. Sussex, and quite a different climate too! Your poor husband must have encountered the dreaded hayfever season.

I wish I could get ducks to deal with the slugs, but no livestock permitted on our allotments. For now I'm having to rely on my pruning knife, boot heel, and the frogs (which are slacking!).

Latest posts