Hello from 'sunny' Sussex, England

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another slug remedy I have tried that works quite well - so you put Dixie cups 3/4 full of beer and sink the cups in the garden soil up to the rim. You do this here and there throughout the garden. The slugs can't resist a good brewsky, so they fall in your trap and can't get out!

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome from Tennessee!
Yes, slugs enjoy themselves here, some growing horrifyingly large (ICK). Bigger 'pest' is those hoofed beasties that taste test everything in the yard, even when the plants are called euphemistically 'deer resistant'.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Tennessee!
Yes, slugs enjoy themselves here, some growing horrifyingly large (ICK). Bigger 'pest' is those hoofed beasties that taste test everything in the yard, even when the plants are called euphemistically 'deer resistant'.

oh yeah, we've had all of that happen here, every year the new babies have to sample and learn what is and isn't edible. fences are what let us grow most of our vegetables without as much pressure on them (but we still have some damage from other animals that can get through or over the fence).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another slug remedy I have tried that works quite well - so you put Dixie cups 3/4 full of beer and sink the cups in the garden soil up to the rim. You do this here and there throughout the garden. The slugs can't resist a good brewsky, so they fall in your trap and can't get out!

i've heard of that one too, but so far we've not ever had to use it. we have things set up in a way that i don't have many slugs around and we don't grow a lot of tender greens (Mom won't eat them) or even the more hardy ones like chards.

i think, but i've never tried it, that if you use sugar water and yeast for brewing or making bread that the slugs are attracted to that too. we don't have beer around here that often (we had a case sitting in the garage for about 14 years before i finally took it out and used the cans for target practice). way back in the beginning of gardening Mom was into making all these sprays and potions and one of them called for a can of beer, but she never made them after those first few years. they often stank, didn't seem to do anything, attracted more bugs and animals and pretty much were a waste of time and $.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:welcome from Illinois!
THANK YOU for putting your location, SE ENGLAND, with your avatar.
You live about 10 degrees further north than I do, but you get the benefit of the Atlantic, so you are warmer than, let's say...Manitoba, Canada, which gets Pretty cold. Do you have planting zones in England?

Latest posts