Hello from Tipton Ford, MO

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Hi LilCamoHen, We know what it's like to be on the mend from bumps and breaks~ like to know more about that~ like how long ago was the accident~ as well as what you plan in the garden~ we really like having you show up~ happy, ready and willing```

Let's talk more~ soon as you wish```Welcome to you```

Richard

LilCamoHen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We don't have to message you to offer advice or be encouraging. We're pretty open here and a better bunch of friendlier people on the internet would be hard to find. We absolutely love new people and we love to help new gardeners get started, helping all along the way.

Bless your heart, big hugs to you. What an experience you have had and I pray that you have a full recovery. From what you describe, it could take awhile to really get over it. There could be no better therapy than working in your garden. I am 62 and one of my earliest memories is toddling behind my Daddy in his garden, yet I still get excited over the miracle of a seed sprouting out of the earth.

Do you already have a garden area or will you be starting out brand new ground? What soil do you have? Clay, sand, loam, good soil or lousy soil? What vegetables/flowers do you plan on planting?

We are delighted to have you here and can't wait to hear more about you and your garden!

I don't really know what kind of soil I have, I don't have much gardening experience and most of it was in more formative years. I want to plant tomatoes, cucumbers, maybe potatoes, some sunflowers and possibly watermelons and pumpkins, maybe some lettuce and spinach and okra among other things. I haven't really decided on the flowers beyond the sunflowers.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow @LilCamoHen :welcome from Eastern IA where the Mississippi River runs east to west! So happy you have found us. Like some have said we are a friendly sort and love to help and even learn more ourselves. Photos are encouraged. ;) The accident sounds awful. So happy to know you are on the mend and getting busy with GARDEN dreams. :loveMy best advice, JUST JUMP IN. :oldEven if you fail you have learned something for the next attempt. :p Most of all have FUN.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dig a hole about foot deep, fill hole with water, watch how long it takes for all water to drain out of hole. In my thick clay it can takes days, sandy soil can take seconds.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm a big fan of using the local library and they usually do have gardening books.

there's tons of references and articles on-line.

asking questions helps, providing details helps more so we can answer questions without wasting time nattering on about things that have no relevance to your situation.

as i am reading all sorts of various topics i put some of them on my list...

http://www.anthive.com/project/notes/

unfortunately i didn't include in there the soil sciences books i've read for some odd reason... ah well... :) when i go back through them again i'll include them.

i guess the first question is do you own the place you're at?

LilCamoHen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
flowerbug: I do own the place technically, it is my grandfathers property I live here though and we garden. I will be getting pictures within the next couple days of the area I have set out for the garden.

I am pretty sure the area has been used for gardening before and it has lots of grass and weeds growing in it right now my uncle used to grow tomatoes there. I am thinking it is kinda rocky soil as a lot of this area is pretty rocky.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
sweet to have that sort of connection to a place. and also to not be alone in a difficult situation.

some rocks are ok, but you will find them a nusciance if you are going to grow root crops of any kind (carrots, taters, ...). with all the crushed limestone gravel we use here i've built a screened box with wire mesh to sort the rocks from the dirt. it is a pretty work intensive response, but once you get it done you shouldn't have to do it again (unless you happen to dump a wheelbarrow or ... *ahem* :) )... nope, i've never done that, uhuh... :/ :)

weeds, grasses can be smothered, if you have access to mulches and cardboard they work eventually, even if you have to go a few rounds.

start small and chip away at it, but before you do any formal pathways and fences and such, figure out your drainage, what utility or pipe runs you may wish to run and then bring in topsoil if you can afford it, by big truckloads. very much easier than rebuilding topsoil and/or having to wheel it in (or even bucket it in - which is what i've had to do here in some places).

also, don't worry about formal edges and such for a while. i've found out over the years that i really don't like edges and the fewer of them i have to keep up the better. so now some smaller gardens are getting combined with neighboring gardens and some pathways are being removed. it gives more flexibility if you want to rotate or change a garden around in plantings.

ok, i've rambled on enough tonight. :)

Latest posts