Hello! I'm new! :-)

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, my husband and I are starting into this gardening venture! We actually started a little bit last year when we bought our house. We put in 2 apples and a self pollinating pear tree right after we moved in!

We're putting in 8-10 raised beds this year, and 6-8 more by next year (hopefully building them once a month or so as to keep the cost down!) We also have added mulberries, kiwis, grapes, and are putting in raspberries as well! I'm TRYING to post another post with a picture of how we want to lay out the garden portion of our yard, but, since I'm new, it's not exactly letting me. LOL So I guess when it allows me to add it, I can get all of your opinions on that. :D

Oh... I guess I should post a lil more about the family. :lol:

We are a military family of 4 living in Jacksonville, NC. My husband is Native American and in the Marine Corps. He's from Minnesota and I'm from Ohio. I have 2 children from a previous marriage, but we make a fairly good blended family and the kids love him like he is their real dad. We're trying to teach the kids more about where their food comes from and how to eat healthier. Instead of stopping by the fast food place on the way home, why don't we just go home and have something from our freezer? It's going to be a loooong road! LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, Nachoqtpie :frow!

We will all be interested in your start in gardening!

There are some very good cooks here - you'll get some ideas on tempting those kids into more healthy eating, I'm sure!

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad to see another neighbor. Hi from the Center of NC!

I think you'll love the climate here once you see how much you can grow. I have zone 8 plants that do wonderfully thanks to the abundance of humidity (not that I like the humidity mind you!).

Once you've posted so much on here you'll be able to add pictures. We've had a slew (sp?) of spammers as of late and trying to cut down on the posts for advertisements. :)

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys!!

I love having NC people here! I need all the help I can get!! LOL

So far we have just our trees (and grapes and kiwis) and one 4x8 bed of strawberries in. Our plan is for this year to have corn, green beans, carrots, lettuce, cayenne and jalapeo peppers, snow peas, onions, scallions, watermelon, and pumpkins in our garden. (If we get all 8 beds in, if not we will probably cut the carrots, the onions, and the scallions)

Our son LOVES pumpkins, and we had talked about not having them this year, but he BEGGED to have at least one pumpkin plant so he could have pumpkin pie! LOL I wavered and told him that if he wanted pumpkins so bad, that we would let him have half a bed (so 4x4) for him to plant some pumpkins. He's very excited about this. And as to not leave out lil miss (who is almost 8 and can't be left out of anything... LOL) we let her start some marigolds from seed. Both will be responsible for all of the care of their plants, with a little guidance from us. Not that we know a whole lot about gardening, but, I'm sure it would be better than just turning them loose! :p

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Go for the pumpkin, just beware of the vine borers... they destroy my pumpkins and squash EVERY year like clockwork. :he

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Nachoqtpie! Sounds like you have some great plans. You were smart to get those trees in asap so they can start producing in a couple years. That's alot of raised beds you are planning on. It will make your gardening easier. It's great that you are teaching your kids about healthy eating and gardening. Wish more parents did that. Hope to hear how you are doing and seeing your pictures.

Mary

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
I love having NC people here! I need all the help I can get!! LOL
I'm very thankful to have other Southern gardeners here (especially vfem! ;)) because gardening here is so much different than what I was used to "up North" (the intense heat, the clay soil, etc.).

I know you'll learn a lot! :D

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Go for the pumpkin, just beware of the vine borers... they destroy my pumpkins and squash EVERY year like clockwork. :he
What are those?! Never even heard of them before!! LOL Man oh man do I have a lot to learn!!! LOL

ninnymary said:
Welcome Nachoqtpie! Sounds like you have some great plans. You were smart to get those trees in asap so they can start producing in a couple years. That's alot of raised beds you are planning on. It will make your gardening easier. It's great that you are teaching your kids about healthy eating and gardening. Wish more parents did that. Hope to hear how you are doing and seeing your pictures.

Mary
We try to be conscious about what we eat. Sam would really like to live completely off the grid, but I told him that since we have less than half an acre, it's not going to be possible. LOL
Both of the kids like learning about gardening and cooking, and things of that nature. Now, if we can continue this when they both get into teen years, I think we will be okay! Monk is the oldest at 12, but he still likes to do things that I do as well. Now we just need to wean them from the DSi and Wii! LOL

Latest posts