Hello

Purple Iris

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello from south Mississippi! its Chilly out there this AM, but down here this is the time to get things done before the heat of summer sets in. Hoping to find some inspiration and answers to help with my insect problems. (Would love to actually harvest some of what I plant!). I have horses, cats, chickens, ducks and of course, gardens🌺

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello from south Mississippi! its Chilly out there this AM, but down here this is the time to get things done before the heat of summer sets in. Hoping to find some inspiration and answers to help with my insect problems. (Would love to actually harvest some of what I plant!). I have horses, cats, chickens, ducks and of course, gardens🌺

hello and welcome to TEG. :)

depending upon the ducks you have they can help with certain bug problems @Beekissed has her garden thread to check out for how that has been going with her gardens. :) chickens too can really raze an area with their scratching.

knowing what bugs you are up against helps for getting good suggestions. :)

Purple Iris

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes I let the chickens in the garden area between crops, and plan to fence it in better and let the ducks in too. The bugs I have the biggest problem with are squash vine borer, squash bugs and leaf footed stink bugs. They have decimated my garden the last two years. Chickens don’t seem interested in eating them (can’t say I blame them) and companion planting doesnt help either. I’ve been reading threads on here and getting ideas...

WildBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:welcome
Welcome! I'm sure you'll find some great information on bug control here. Good luck and have an awesome day!

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello!! Hello!! Hello!!... A happy day here in our forums... please enjoy!!! Share, Learn, Make Friends, and Experience!! Everyone is welcome...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes I let the chickens in the garden area between crops, and plan to fence it in better and let the ducks in too. The bugs I have the biggest problem with are squash vine borer, squash bugs and leaf footed stink bugs. They have decimated my garden the last two years. Chickens don’t seem interested in eating them (can’t say I blame them) and companion planting doesnt help either. I’ve been reading threads on here and getting ideas...

the thing for the squash bugs and squash borers that i've been doing are to plant more resistant varieties. i don't grow zuchini squash here, but the trombonicas are close enough from what i've heard to give them a try. we do grow winter squash and i like the kombucha and buttercup type squashes, both which may be damaged by borers but enough survive that i can keep growing them and still get a harvest. this is without doing anything else other than rotating the plantings. this coming season i may try to do some other things too just to see if i can help things along (piling tangerine peels around the stems is one experiment i'm going to try if i remember).

there's always so much going on for me once the gardening season gets underway as i'm usually trying to get other projects done too before the summer gets too hot.

Purple Iris

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
trying to get other projects done too before the summer gets too hot.

Yes! So much to do while it’s cool enough to get it done. Thanks for the winter squash recommendations. I do plan to try some of those this year as well as some trap plants. What do the tangerine peels do?

Latest posts