HELP! I can't pick the lettuce seeds I want to order!

Pick one loose leaf and one romaine that you think I should grow

• Simpson Elite (loose leaf)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crisp Mint (romaine)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried asking my amazing hubby which ones looked yummy and he gave the the 'uh I don't know' look :barnie so I'm gonna ask y'all which ones would be yummiest. I have pictures of each variety listed, i'm wanting to grow a loose leaf and a romaine to balance out the kale that I still need to decide on. I'm in zone 6 and these won't be in the garden till fall because my garden isn't fully prepped for plants yet.

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are the loose leaf varieties
Oaky Red Splash.jpg
Oaky Red Splash
Green Ice.jpg
Green Ice
Simpson Elite.jpg
Simpson Elite

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know that Simpson was an okay choice and it probably was the Elite. I have had Green Ice several time and like it.

The Romaines among your choices, I have not grown. I have grown Outredgeous Romaine for several years. Also, I liked having Rouge d'Hiver because I enjoy attempting to say that with a French accent ... but, it is an old-fashioned choice ... Outredgeous is fun to try to say, also ;).

What I like about Romaines is that they hold up well in the summer and are good at cut-&-come-again. However, I'm not the greatest user of lettuce and a salad with just Romaine doesn't appeal too much. A nice leaf lettuce that holds up well has been a Batavian type. They are also called Summer Crisp. It has been Nevada that I've grown of that group.

There is a chance that I have grown others but they were in mixes - probably from Johnny's Seed.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not a fan of lettuce--except romaine in a "Pasta House" type salad. But I do like just about any leaf lettuce "wilted" with a little bacon grease (I suppose you could use olive oil if you wanted to be healthier) and vinegar, heated and poured over. Oh, and a little sweetener. You can eat a lot this way, to get your vitamins and minerals. And to take care of that horrible glut of lettuce you will have in the garden.
So my advice is to plant several kinds together. Like in a mesclun mix, most seed companies offer now.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you considered getting a mix of lettuce seeds? I did a quick look at Burpee and they have a few different mixes. I did not check any other seed companies but there should be some out there. That at least avoids having to buy several different packets which would give you a lot of wasted seeds. You could get a mesclun, but that mix will have rocket, arugula, rucola, rucoli, rugula, colewort, or roquette, whatever you call that stuff. It's too strong for my taste but you might like it. It tends to take over too.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like anything with red leaves. It's pretty and probably has more anthocyanins in it which always make me feel like I'm eating on a healthier level, haha.

@so lucky , you made me laugh when you mentioned "that horrible glut of lettuce". Ha, so true! But the cure for that is green smoothies. Just drink them, it only takes a second and you've consumed your greens for the day and can move on to the chocolate with a clear conscience. And you don't have to feel so guilty for tossing so many into the chicken pen.

Latest posts