HELP! I can't pick the lettuce seeds I want to order!

Pick one loose leaf and one romaine that you think I should grow

• Simpson Elite (loose leaf)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crisp Mint (romaine)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lately I haven't grown much lettuce other than Croatian, seed given me by a friend but I have grown Outredgeous in the past, with good success, I think I've also grown Crisp Mint, Cos or Romaine types seem to be my favorite, can't remember the last time I bought iceberg. If not growing many, a couple of six packs of mixed varieties might suit you

Annette.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been quite successful growing iceberg lettuce.

Honestly, I don't think that there is much wrong with it ... but, keep in mind, I'm not really a lettuce aficionado. Of course, the food industry likes it because those tightly curled leaves are protected from damage and decay.

What I want to say is that, besides the Summer Crisp not receiving a whole lot of attention, there is a world of Butterheads out there! Yes, there are Buttheads -- they have interests other than salads, I'd guess. No, but there are what we used to call Bibb and a bunch of others, including Buttercrunch. They aren't a great deal different from the other leaf lettuce but they have that nice soft texture and more substantial "mouth-feel." Some are quite a bit beyond Buttercrunch on that scale.

Steve
ah! here we go: @aftermidnight and her lettuce in the salad thread

Last edited:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cooked lettuce, anyone do this? Our neighbor originally from northern China introduced us to a cooked lettuce dish, waste not want not, he does a dish with the stalks of bolted lettuce minus the leaves, it's absolutely delicious.
I actually found some seed for a lettuce grown specifically for this, Asparagus Lettuce (Tai Ko Tsoi) also known as Celtuce? After rooting around in my seed stash I found them, hopefully they are still viable, I've had them for awhile:hide.

I know off topic again :( but he also has a dish he makes using one potato, sliced almost thinner than matchsticks, how he cooks them and keeps them crisp and not falling apart I've never been able to figure out, but then he also did that noodle thing, tossing the dough up in the air, stretching it as he flung it about. Looks like one of those string puzzles in his hands, if I tried this it'd end up on the floor, it then goes into a pot of boiling water as one long string, or... tea towel over shoulder his wife would flatten and pinch off small pieces into boiling water they did this dish up with thinly sliced beef :drool.

Sadly his wife passed away a few years back, they are older then us (we both turn 80 this year) but he still refers to us as the kids next door. Such a gentle man who has had to put up with a lot in his lifetime. The stories I could tell here but not my place to do so. Why can't people treat others they way they want others to treat them.... It would be a much better world if only:idunno.

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, right!

About the celtuce (which my spellchecker wants to make Celtic :). Yeah, what about the Celts?)

Anyway, celtuce: I grew it about 25 years ago. Honestly, I didn't know quite what to do with it. I don't know if I even knew to try it cooked. I remember that I had hoped (expected) it to taste like celery, maybe a leaf celery. Nope: lettuce.

@ChickenMomma91 is a patient young person, I believe ;).

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red salad bowl is my pick for my first batch. I read that the red varieties have more anti-oxidants and are more healthy. I started 16 seeds two days ago and they have germinated already.

lettuce start.jpg

Last edited: