Help I Need A Nurse!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last night I was tired and was working around the house and ran a #2 Phillips screwdriver Bit through my thumb nail. It went almost all the way through! You can see a red dot were it stopped at the skin.

It is swollen and the pressure is killing me. Anything I can do to help relive the pressure? I am going out to but some I-be-broken to help reduce the swelling but anything else I can do?

Thanks; Joe

Hard to mouse around without my thumb!
greenthumb.gif

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You should probably remove what you can of the nail. That should reduce some of the pressure.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you!

The hole is about half way up the nail and towards the edge.

I want to trim the nail off as much as possible but it hurts so much still. I did not sleep to good last night.

Joe

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It will hurt like hell but I would soak it in some Epsoms salt water. Then the ibuprophen should help some with the swelling.

Sorry you hurt yourself. I hurt my thumb a while back by shoving a minor PLANK of wood under the nail all the way under my cuticle. Then it broke off. I couldn't get hold of it with my fingernails of my other hand because I was shaking so bad so had to use my teeth to pull it out. It took like 2-3 months for me to lose my nail....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I suggest a doctor so you don't risk infection! :old

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know this sounds totally off-key, but you can soak your thumb in Cayenne Pepper water. Just dump the dry Cayenne in a little glass of water and mix. Surprisingly, the Cayenne will soothe the wound with a coolness and the throbbing should subside.

I wouldn't suck on your thumb afterwards though, and do not stick your Cayenne-soaked thumb in your eyes; or else we will have another emergency! LOL :lol:

Cayenne will also prevent infection from setting in.

Yesterday was an overall 'BAD' day for folks! We all should have stayed in bed! :barnie

Ron

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
light a candle
heat a safety pin white hot
press the pin thru the nail

The blood will cool the pin before it burns anything other than the nail.

Steve
a paper clip will also work if you are concerned about going to deep with the pin

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh! Joe -- :hugs :hugs :hugs

I hope your tetanus injection is current? Please check!

I hurt for you & I hope it gets better fast!

All my love, Edited because I'm an idiot & called poor Joe by Steve's name, my apologies but I was so tired my brain had given up :old

:rose Hattie :rose

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice.

Of course I went to the store but forgot the Epsom salts.

I also forgot to mention I have a 2 inch long slice on that thumb.
It is in rough shape! I think all the swelling is off to the side of the nail.
I just did the dishes then soaked it in warm water, that seems to have helped.

V I am not much for going to the doctor unless I must! I have repaired worse wounds before. I know it would be wise to go but as a life long tax paying person I can not afford to!

Ron your idea is interesting and worth a try!

Steve I was thinking the same thing when it happened. I was thinking,'here I go again' But I don't think I need to do that this time.
When it feels a little better, after the shot starts to work, I need to dig out the nail that is shoved inside my thumb, that will help to.

Perhaps a few shots first! ;)

Joe

Latest posts