Help identifying mystery onions

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's true. However, here in the US, the commonest "wild strawberry" you'll bump into is the Mock or Indian strawberry, Duchesnea indica. That IS edible, but utterly tasteless, so more or less pointless.

Incidentally, I have found that one way to get a heads up on the birds and other critters is to plant WHITE strawberries. The birds apparently go by color to determine ripeness, so they keep thinking the fruit isn't ripe and you can pick them at your leisure.

i've also heard of red colored and similarly shaped decoys that they peck at and then find out they're not anything so after a while perhaps they give up and go look for something else?

personally, i have found out that i do not lose nearly as much of my strawberries to birds as i do to chipmunks. yes, there is some damage, but i can tolerate it. in trade for them eating some of my berries they also eat bugs in the gardens. i don't feed the birdies here otherwise so they have to forage for their food. we put up birdbaths for them so they have places to keep clean and plenty of water. that has been working well enough for us so far that i don't do much bird management other than discouraging the grackles. we don't have berry bushes or fruit trees yet. netting is probably important for small fruits if you don't want to share.

i do hunt chipmunks here or there. i don't like to do it, but until i can do things my own way here that's not going to change. :(

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
5E6E6D8B-40F0-4785-B29E-F28E503E8E02.jpeg

9868A156-FBD5-4B9A-813D-C032A305BB42.jpeg

@ducks4you here are some shots of the strawberries I’ve found.

Also a new mystery plant!
3B6BE3EB-CAE0-48C1-A2C2-728DEACA86AC.jpeg

I harvested some of the green onions/garlic for the spaghetti sauce I’m canning this weekend and walked the property for awhile (it’s too cold to do much). I found a few trees I suspect are fruit trees and some other interesting things coming up here and there. When spring really arrives it’ll be exciting to figure out what’s what. Identifying trees and shrubs in dormancy is neither either nor fun.

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner @Ridgerunner @Zeedman

It’s chives!
Also the strawberries are blooming. They are indeed wild- as I found them all over my woods and well. We’ll see if they’re edible or if I can beat the birds and mice to them.

Attachments

• AAC745F1-DA7D-4222-8FAF-0D91172D1A68.jpeg
    AAC745F1-DA7D-4222-8FAF-0D91172D1A68.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 275
  • B899CEF3-D7CC-4712-8B56-DDFBFEA949D5.jpeg
    B899CEF3-D7CC-4712-8B56-DDFBFEA949D5.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 266

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner @Ridgerunner @Zeedman

It’s chives!
Also the strawberries are blooming. They are indeed wild- as I found them all over my woods and well. We’ll see if they’re edible or if I can beat the birds and mice to them.

the bees love 'em for sure, but they certainly can spread... we've removed patches of those here and i can say without any doubt that the smell of the roots make me gag when i dig them up. luckily the worms love them too when they are buried deeply enough they can't regrow. :) i dig down about 2ft and pile in all i can fit and then top it off with some newspapers or cardboard.

also helps to remove the tops before they start dropping seeds...

Latest posts