Help planning flower bed

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a crepe myrtle out front. You can kinda see it in the 2nd picture. It's hot pink. :) It's just now starting to leaf out.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay... so I found this picture... and it looks BEAUTIFUL! But I don't know what kind of plants are in it. LOL Let me know if you know what any of these are. I'll label the plants by number. :)
Okay... so I found this picture... and it looks BEAUTIFUL! But I don't know what kind of plants are in it. LOL Let me know if you know what any of these are. I'll label the plants by number. :)
All of these things would never bloom all at once like this. It is photoshopped or all planted at once from greenhouse plants. However you would not want them all to bloom at once-you would have a 2-3 week display and that would be it. Include annuals with your perennials so you have constant color. I used to drive around town to see what was in bloom and add it to by gardens.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
YAY!!!!!!!! They're ALL GONE!!!!!!!!!! :celebrate:celebrate

Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to put in there. :hu

Hubby wants some kind of lilac, but, I've not really found any that work for zone 8a. We both grew up "up north" (Ohio and Minnesota respectively) and really miss the lilacs! I want to stay away from bushes and whatnot, him not so much, but I want more flowers and things. I would REALLY like some color all year (maybe not so much in winter?), and we both want things that will attract and feed bees!

We do want to build a porch and cover that, so I'll add a picture that shows where THAT will be. My little rose bush is still down there at the end, and I think I might want to put a couple more in, maybe. Hubby also found a hydrangea that is "tie dyed" and looks kinda cool! Maybe some gladeolas in the back? I'm not sure of what ones are "tall" but I WAS thinking about putting phlox in the front!

ETA: I'm also going to be repainting the shutters and front door a dark green color. :)
What direction is the house facing? That will determine the plants that will do well. And NC Isn't that the azalea capitol?

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And NC Isn't that the azalea capitol?

It IS azalea capitol! LOL They get so big tho.. and I've read that honey made from azaleas can be toxic! (Not sure if that's REALLY true though.)

The front of our house is on the southwest/south side. I would really like some Callas, some lillies, some gladiolus, some phlox maybe? I'm just not sure what all to put in there! I do like the idea of a butterfly bush as we found one that was REALLY pretty, I just need to be able to keep it in check. Can you prune those like a regular bush?

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm..... I might have to consider that one then! Maybe one of those on either side of my porch? Do they smell good?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find my butterfly bushes a bit too untamed for the formal flower garden, although I grow them in the butterfly garden. I have a couple of miniature varieties, but the others are around 4 feet tall. I do cut mine back a couple of times a summer to a more manageable size, so I suppose they are prune-able.

Latest posts