Help! Poison Oak Rash!

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I hate PO rash. Its worse than Poison Ivy. And I had to go get a good dose on my arms and legs. My fault, I did not have dawn soap in the shower, and just used Fels Naptha. It was one of those hot humid days where I had already taken 2 showers, so maybe I was too fast the third time. A rainstorm had come and blew a tree down blocking the road to our neighborhood so I got my saw and cut it away but it was a bramble of vines.. Sigh- no good deed goes unpunished.

What is the current methods of relief? I ordered some snail mucus the ladies use in asian skin care but other than that it's antihistimines and hydrocortisone cream, and calamine right now.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate PO rash. Its worse than Poison Ivy. And I had to go get a good dose on my arms and legs. My fault, I did not have dawn soap in the shower, and just used Fels Naptha. It was one of those hot humid days where I had already taken 2 showers, so maybe I was too fast the third time. A rainstorm had come and blew a tree down blocking the road to our neighborhood so I got my saw and cut it away but it was a bramble of vines.. Sigh- no good deed goes unpunished.

What is the current methods of relief? I ordered some snail mucus the ladies use in asian skin care but other than that it's antihistimines and hydrocortisone cream, and calamine right now.

it's a miserable time. i'd go to a redi-med for a bad case. over the counter stuff helps, but they have better pills at the redi-med.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
In all my years of living on the east coast and west coast, I didn't get Poison Oak until 2013. It was just a spot...calamine lotion kept it under control UNTIL>>>>>>>>>>>>> my body decided that it was going to react. Five days of massive reaction, no insurance, went to urgent care and voila! A pill or two took care of the hives, itching, welts, and other out of ordinary reactions my body was inventing.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I understand corti-something-steriods like prednisone? are used. I had this 5% lidocaine cream that helped me sleep but I had T shirts on my arms.The clorox is interesting.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I understand corti-something-steriods like prednisone? are used. I had this 5% lidocaine cream that helped me sleep but I had T shirts on my arms.The clorox is interesting.
Put a cup or two in a bathtub of cool to warm water and soak in it. Pat dry. Or you could run around the back yard and drip dry. LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
lidocaine
That was my first thought. Mostly, because it helps with bee stings.

A prescription steroid works so well on the rashes I get that I can, at least, imagine it helping.

I haven't been in poison oak misery since I was a kid down in @Rhodie Ranch country. It was a frequent problem whenever I was out in the woods. Calamine was the only thing Mom had and it sure wasn't enough.

It just might be that I moved away from it living here. There's poison ivy along the river but I recognize and stay out of it.

Steve
currently scratched up from rose bush pruning . totally minor by comparison

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
IMG_20200714_112759.jpg
IMG_20200714_112806.jpg

I apologize but P. Oak Rash is one of the nastier 3rd degree chemical burns and we all like gross pictures. Hey - that is a good idea...somebody make thread with 3 plant threads underneath it based on burn definitions. You know 123.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Would c/silver be of any use? It's worked on burns; it is possible it could heal chemical burns. Will look it up.
I've not researched snail mucus, but have read about it sometime ago, it was being trailed as a beauty treatment.
@Dirtmechanic

Last edited:

Latest posts