Help! What do I plant?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if the shade tolerant daisy you saw was Doronicum orientale ( aka leopards bane, but you have to be careful of common names because there are about a half dozen other perennials called leopards bane also ).
I have a clump of that, and it's a good non fussy flower. Unfortunately for me, it blooms at the same time as my wild, totally out of control dandelions, and it is a perfect dandelion yellow.. I only recognize it as Doronicum and not dandelion because I know where I planted it.

It sounds like you have a good combination of plants narrowed down. I have not had Toad lily in my garden, but I'm familiar with it. It's a good late season bloomer, to stretch your bloom time out.

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I wonder if the shade tolerant daisy you saw was Doronicum orientale ( aka leopards bane, but you have to be careful of common names because there are about a half dozen other perennials called leopards bane also ).
I have a clump of that, and it's a good non fussy flower. Unfortunately for me, it blooms at the same time as my wild, totally out of control dandelions, and it is a perfect dandelion yellow.. I only recognize it as Doronicum and not dandelion because I know where I planted it.

It sounds like you have a good combination of plants narrowed down. I have not had Toad lily in my garden, but I'm familiar with it. It's a good late season bloomer, to stretch your bloom time out.
The one I found online was called "Little Leo Leopard's Bane." (Doronicum orientale 'Little Leo'). So yes, it's the one you mentioned.

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1105/little-leo-leopards-bane.php

I'll happily send any dandelions packing so I can enjoy my yellow daisies. That I don't have yet. :rolleyes:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah! Little Leo, that's the same one I have. Good plant, I don't do anything special for it, it's been in about 9 years.
I would love to send my dandelions packing! If I could I'd send them to Steve, then he could grind them for coffee. That would teach 'em!

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Zone 8 refers to the region that encompasses the western and southernmost borders. With longer growing seasons and warmer winters, many plants that enjoy a rainforest or warm climate growing condition will be found to flourish. If you are seeking ideas for excellent choices for planting in zone 8.

Laurenstinus
Laurenstinus, known also formally as Viburnum tinus, produces small white or pink flowers and has an odd off season blooming habit of producing its flowers in late winter to early spring. Laurenstinus is an evergreen shrub that will reach a maximum height and width of 12 feet at maturity and grows well in sun to partial shade and a variety of soil conditions, from neutral to mildly acidic.

Daisy Bush
The New Zealand daisy-bush, also known formally as Olearia haastii, produces flowers that closely resemble the traditional daisy. This evergreen shrub is an excellent choice for a blooming border or ornamental shrub. It grows well in sandy, loamy soil with partial or full sunlight for several hours per day.

Japanese Pittosporum
The Japanese pittosporum, also known alternately as Pittosporum tobira, is an evergreen shrub that is increasing in popularity as a choice for landscaping as well as decorative foliage in cut flower arrangements. Japanese pittosporum prefers full to partial sun and is amenable to a variety of soil and moisture conditions.

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Yeah! Little Leo, that's the same one I have. Good plant, I don't do anything special for it, it's been in about 9 years.
I would love to send my dandelions packing! If I could I'd send them to Steve, then he could grind them for coffee. That would teach 'em!
Maybe my local nursery has something similar, or could order it. I do really love daisies. Some of the more shade tolerant varieties look almost threadbare and scraggly compared to the full, plush petals I'm used to seeing. Does that visual make sense? Hmmm.

So we are finally having some clear, sunny weather, and looking at my space again, even without thinning the random mess I mentioned up thread, it appears that the area along my front walk does get some morning sun exposure! Now, keep in mind, the sun actually has to come out for this to happen, but it's encouraging, yes? ;)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ligularia, also called something rocket, is my favorite shade daisy. They often come in 2 kinds. One makes a yellow daisy 4 inches across followed by a dandelion looking seedhead. Don't worry, any sprouts you get are good to have. Few grow. The other type of ligularia makes a stalk of small yellow daisies. Both types have really cool deep purple leaves. Plants grow to 2 or 3 foot tall and a foot wide, and they are die back perennials, zone 3 tough. Cover them in zone 3 or 4 during winter their first couple of winters.