Help what's wrong with my peach tree

crazyegglady

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought my grandmother's house after she passed away and she had a peach tree that i know produced. The house was empty two years before I bought it and no one has tended to the plants. Now my peach tree is producing but something is happening to the peaches before they ripe. Also I notice damage to the limbs that I am attaching pictures of. Can someone please help me find out what's going on and how to fix it.

Attachments

• 20190518_190014.jpg
    20190518_190014.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 338
  • 20190518_185949.jpg
    20190518_185949.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 373
  • 20190518_185939.jpg
    20190518_185939.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 588
  • 20190518_185934.jpg
    20190518_185934.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 438
  • 20190518_185922.jpg
    20190518_185922.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 338
  • 20190518_185853.jpg
    20190518_185853.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 344

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
to me some of that looks like animal damage and if the bark has been damaged then the tree will not be able to grow as well as it would otherwise.

however, i'm also not a peach tree expert so i'm not sure what to say about the fruits and perhaps there is something else going on too...

hang in there! :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Not sure. Now I feel bad about complaining of no fruit on mine.
Gummosis
This disease can kill branches or trees and is caused by the fungus Botryosphaeria dothidea. Earliest symptoms appear on the young bark of vigorous trees as small blisters, usually occurring at lenticels. Infection occurs late in the season, and may be apparent in the fall or the following spring. Some infected areas exude a gummy resin. Trees that are two or three years old often have sunken diseased areas (cankers) apparent on the trunk and major branches. Large amounts of gummy exudate, or gum balls, are associated with lesions at multiple sites. After repeated infections, the bark becomes rough and scaly.

Prevention & Treatment: There is no practical chemical control available. Keep trees healthy, since the most severely infected trees are water-stressed. Dead wood should be removed during winter pruning, and destroyed. When pruning during the summer months, remove and destroy all pruned wood. Where gummosis is present, use of captan or myclobutanil for scab control is the preferred treatment.
https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/peach-diseases/
Where do you live? You could put that on your profile. Peach trees grow the very best in the south, particularly Georgia. That is why it is called the "Peach State", and many streets in Atlanta and other GA cities are named "Peach____." It is hot and dry there.
Where I live it is very humid. I must have good drainage bc it is certainly borderline too cold in the winter and too wet all year for a peach tree to do well.
I suggest that you contact your closest Land Grant University Extension office for help. They would know best what is affecting local peach trees.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The two symptoms may not be related.

The trunk looks like it could be damage caused by peach tree borer. Look up lesser peach tree borer and see it it applies to your tree.

The mummified fruit looks like brown rot, a fungal disease. Spores are carried by wind and water. You should pick and destroy all the fruit that is showing signs of brown rot and keep the area under your tree free from fallen fruit. The spores can survive on the ground, I don't know how long. There are things you can treat your tree with to proactively defend it so you get a healthy crop next year.

crazyegglady

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Not sure. Now I feel bad about complaining of no fruit on mine.
Gummosis
This disease can kill branches or trees and is caused by the fungus Botryosphaeria dothidea. Earliest symptoms appear on the young bark of vigorous trees as small blisters, usually occurring at lenticels. Infection occurs late in the season, and may be apparent in the fall or the following spring. Some infected areas exude a gummy resin. Trees that are two or three years old often have sunken diseased areas (cankers) apparent on the trunk and major branches. Large amounts of gummy exudate, or gum balls, are associated with lesions at multiple sites. After repeated infections, the bark becomes rough and scaly.

Prevention & Treatment: There is no practical chemical control available. Keep trees healthy, since the most severely infected trees are water-stressed. Dead wood should be removed during winter pruning, and destroyed. When pruning during the summer months, remove and destroy all pruned wood. Where gummosis is present, use of captan or myclobutanil for scab control is the preferred treatment.
https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/peach-diseases/
Where do you live? You could put that on your profile. Peach trees grow the very best in the south, particularly Georgia. That is why it is called the "Peach State", and many streets in Atlanta and other GA cities are named "Peach____." It is hot and dry there.
Where I live it is very humid. I must have good drainage bc it is certainly borderline too cold in the winter and too wet all year for a peach tree to do well.
I suggest that you contact your closest Land Grant University Extension office for help. They would know best what is affecting local peach trees.
Sorry ment to add my location I am in Mississippi it's pretty warm here thanks for the info will deff do some research and see if that could be my problem

crazyegglady

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The two symptoms may not be related.

The trunk looks like it could be damage caused by peach tree borer. Look up lesser peach tree borer and see it it applies to your tree.

The mummified fruit looks like brown rot, a fungal disease. Spores are carried by wind and water. You should pick and destroy all the fruit that is showing signs of brown rot and keep the area under your tree free from fallen fruit. The spores can survive on the ground, I don't know how long. There are things you can treat your tree with to proactively defend it so you get a healthy crop next year.
Thanks that is what I thought but the bark on the tree made me question myself thanks you for the info I am going to go to the co-op on Monday to get something to try and help my poor little tree

Latest posts