Help!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The pig thing was somewhat in jest, I know it is not practical for many folks. It is the fastest way to get organic matter incorporated into the soil I can think of. Piling organic matter on top of the soil is a good way but it takes time. It will break down faster if it is mixed with the soil and if nitrogen, like manure, is mixed in.

The way I read ChickenMomma's post she has maybe this year and the next for growing seasons. Maybe she can clarify. The only way I can see good soil improvement is to mix in a lot of compost this year. Not just a few inches thick on top before it is mixed but a lot. For next year incorporating a lot of organic material and especially a lot of manure and mixing it in, then adding more and mixing on more manure and organic material as the season progresses. Water it if it gets dry. Make a huge compost pile and work at it.

To me, time and money are the issues here. It takes a lot of either to get results. Raised beds may be a better way to go for quick results. Those can get expensive though. For a couple of years is it worth the investment?

To think someone will have the mortgage paid off before their kid hits kindergarten! WOW!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, I'm gonna get a pig to help with my soil, :p. By the way, Bee did say to add about a foot of mulch hay.

I agree with others in just bringing in hay, wood chips or leaves. They are usually free and what do you have to lose?

Steve, I too was surprised their mortgage is almost paid off. Good for them! Wonder what their secret was? We paid off our house a couple years ago and it's such an amazing feeling and removal of stress.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used pigs and they contributed deep digging and poop. I have used sheep, chicken and horse poop. Leaves, wood chips and cardboard. We have been here 4 years. If you are going to move in a couple of years, I wouldn't fight it and just find someone with a garden if you are going to can, freeze and/or dehydrate. Some of those big tubs that syrup licks for cattle come in make nice garden planting tubs. Look at cow pastures, sometimes you can find them just sitting there, ask the owner, most are happy to get rid of them.

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A 10-12in. layer of mulch hay on the whole thing....by next year you'll see some good things happening there. Meanwhile, it will kill all the weeds and such, get the earthworms working under the hay while eating it, which will make good tunnels in your clay for water to drain off.

Can you get free or cheap waste hay where you live? If not, can you get wood chips, like the kind they generate when clearing power lines and such? Both, when applied nice and deep, can create a better soil for you in a short amount of time and only require work but not much money invested.
I have chickens and the bedding in the coop is a combo of straw and pine chips

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not much really. And in your short time period, really not much unless you spend a fortune right now for this year.

How big an area is it? @Beekissed or @baymule what would you think of keeping a pig in it this year and tossing all kinds of straw, hay, grass, weeds, garden refuse and such in there for it to eat or grind into the soil? I'd think if you toss enough organic stuff in there for it to eat or trample into the ground that area could be in pretty good shape next spring if you butcher it this fall. Of course that only gives you one growing season before you move. And a pig is probably not practical for you.
I live in town so a pig wouldn’t be an option. And we have I would guess 4 years total left here. Two to pay it off and another two to finish flipping it for a profit. So at some point I have to make the garden sorta pretty so that a potential buyer would see it as a good thing rather than a big dirt square. It’s 7x15 btw.

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! Good for you :D ...

Young parents ... toddler ... on their way to paying off a mortgage ...

Steve
It was a seven year mortgage through a private person rather than a bank. Sadly it won’t show on our credit score except saying we own our home once the title is filed. And we’re older than we look. I’m almost 30. But all the same thank you, it’s been a lot of hard work to keep up.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live in town so a pig wouldn’t be an option. And we have I would guess 4 years total left here. Two to pay it off and another two to finish flipping it for a profit. So at some point I have to make the garden sorta pretty so that a potential buyer would see it as a good thing rather than a big dirt square. It’s 7x15 btw.

If you have that long and your purpose is to make it look nice, you have more time than I thought. 7 x 15 can be impressive in town but it's really not all that big. It can still be some work. Pile it with mulch, whether that is dried leaves, grass trimmings if you can get a lot, hay, straw, and especially manure. Wood takes a while to break down but you have time. Till it in or turn it a lot, maybe the top six inches of clay with the mulch. This year you are basically doing a big compost pile.

When you plant it next year mulch it heavily. When the garden is finished till or dig that mulch in. Within three years it should be nice.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You are a perfect candidate for those raised beds where you import the soil to the location. Build them as cheaply as possible---Lowe's always has leftover wood, I think it is still 25cents/piece--and you can lay cardboard on the ground, put down the perimeters and plant immediately after the soil is in place. I would recommend amending, but if you are low lying it will just flood out. You will have virtually no weeds, so you can enjoy your beds more than me!! :gig

Latest posts