henless' garden, 2018

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love cabbage, broccoli, and bok choys, so that's very encouraging. Aside from the recipe here, are there other ways to use them?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found 30 round bales for a good price. By the time we pay for hauling it, it will be about what we normally pay.

@AMKuska I peel and chunk them up. I simmer in water until tender, drain it off and put in butter, salt and pepper. I also peel, cut in chunks, then dredge in oil with spices added, then roast in the oven at 425 for 20 to 30 minutes. We also love the greens!

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
we are trying turnips for the first time this year. Hope they are tasty.

I've never had the bulbs, but the greens are really good.

if you like cabbage, brocolli, etc. they are a mild cabbage flavor (to me).

I love cabbage. Hopefully I can try them this fall.

@baymule ~ Good job on finding the hay! I know that a load of your mind!!

I hauled water today for the fruit trees/bushes. DH got a water tank that fits up in the sidexside. So much easier than hauling water in 5 gallon buckets. Now I just set out my bucket and fill with water using the hand sprayer. Works like a charm.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kohlrabi may be at it's very best raw and in salad. It really is quite mild. Harvest it while tender.

they are a mild cabbage flavor (to me).
I'm getting the idea that FlowerBug likes stronger flavored foods. Maybe that goes with all the garlic, yes?
are there other ways to use them?
I'm having mustard greens (Brassica juncea ;)) with noodles for dinner. These are especially tender and mild because they were grown in the hoop house.

I'm not the greatest fan of mustard greens. I won't want very large servings later in the season. And, it was in the 70's, the last time I grew turnips for bulbs and I cannot remember having eaten the greens ... until I grew those Japanese turnip greens in 2017. Maybe it was because the flea beetles gave the plants so much trouble early. Maybe it was because, I had to wait until the heat of the summer to try them - too strong! I'm a wimp ...

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew turnips last year. I'm sorry to say I'm not a fan. I'm sure it's because I have defective taste buds though, so y'all just keep the turnip party going...

oh and I must add that I don't find them anything like cabbage or broccoli or other brassicas.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm getting the idea that FlowerBug likes stronger flavored foods. Maybe that goes with all the garlic, yes?

i've had some people say it has a distinct metallic off taste to them, but i don't get that from them. but then again, i like cilantro even if it tastes soapy.

and yes, i do like some things strong flavored, but also like plain tofu, it's about contrasts, variety, textures and some days it's all just fuel for the fire...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew turnips last year. I'm sorry to say I'm not a fan. I'm sure it's because I have defective taste buds though, so y'all just keep the turnip party going...

oh and I must add that I don't find them anything like cabbage or broccoli or other brassicas.

i think there are some that get very off flavors from some things that others don't. i'm a very sensitive pallate. almost everything packaged has off flavors to me. Mom won't notice them at all (but she reacts so badly to black pepper and almost every place uses it out of habit or buys ingredients that have it added that we can't find many places to eat out - even asking to make sure there is no pepper often doesn't work because white pepper is also used in some things and the cooks don't even know it - they're just using what Sysco brings...).

we don't use salt or pepper out of habit, about the only spices i'm habituated to are chili/capsicum and garlic. i can eat raw garlic out of the ground even if it is so hot it numbs my tongue/gums. for chili i don't need it super hot, but i do like a little heat on some things including my morning yogurt. right now though i'm having a craving for tapioca pudding. that's a pretty mild dessert. :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've had some people say it has a distinct metallic off taste to them, but i don't get that from them. but then again, i like cilantro even if it tastes soapy.

Oh my, this should be an interesting experiment. I can't stand cilantro. It tastes like the smell of the garbage dump to me. Powerfully metallic and with a rotten undertone that makes me sure that my taste buds are different or else no one would eat it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my, this should be an interesting experiment. I can't stand cilantro. It tastes like the smell of the garbage dump to me. Powerfully metallic and with a rotten undertone that makes me sure that my taste buds are different or else no one would eat it.

i think it will be ok because you like cabbage family crops in general. i think people who don't like turnips usually also don't much like the others.

i could almost live off cabbage, cauliflower, etc.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I canned turnips, guess I need to try some tonight to see if I like them or if I wasted my time. We like turnips raw with salt on them. But I really plant them for the greens. Greens and cornbread-a feast!

Latest posts