henless' garden, 2018

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We missed the rain forecast for today. I'm glad. We are still wet from the previous rain.

My spinach, swiss chard & turnips are up. My carrots are still growing, but doesn't look like a lot. Can't really tell if my 2nd planting is coming up or not. I have a few beets, but none of the 2nd planting has come up. I'm assuming too much rain.

I've got 130 lbs of russet potatoes & 40 lbs of sweet potatoes to can up. I have pumpkin puree in the dehydrator.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Girlfriend! You done good! Haha, I turned the sheep in the garden to whack down the weeds, then the chickens. I haven't had a fall garden since we moved here. I gotta get my timing down! You are doing fantastic with all those veggies! :thumbsup What do you do with dehydrated pumpkin puree, and do you cook it first?

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My green beans and cucumbers I planted for fall grew good, but just didn't have time to produce much before frost hit. I think I have enough green beans for seeds next year, just don't know if they got to stay on the vines long enough. I'll probably buy a few more just in case.

I cut the pumpkins in half, seed them and roast them in the oven first. Then I scoop them out & puree them with my blender. I use the dried pumpkin to make pumpkin bread. Not a pie fan, but love me some pumpkin bread.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Once I have them pureed, I spread them on my tomato sheets in the dehydrator. I don't have the trays for fruit leather, that would work great. Try to get them pretty thin & even. I run mine about 12 hours or so. You want them very dry. If you can, peel the pumpkin off your trays & flip them over to let the bottom dry. You don't have to, but I find it helps them dry faster. Pumpkin is just thick. I usually put mine on in the afternoon/early evening to run all night.

Once they are dry, you have to grind them up to a powder. Coffee grinder works good, but since I don't have one, I use my bullet. It works good. But, the dry pumpkin does scratch up my bullet cup. I pour them into a jar, insert an oxygen absorber and put on the lid.

When you get ready to use it, mix 1/2 cup powder with 2 cups of boiling water. Let sit for 10-15 min and you have pumpkin puree.

I like how little room it takes up. I had pumpkins that took up 2 shelves on my metal racks. Now they all fit into a large Preggo jar. The O2 absorbers work. When I opened up my jar to add my newest batch, I almost didn't get it to open. It had sealed so tight.

I've still got 4 more of my pumpkins and 2 sugar pumpkins to dehydrate. I'll do them after Thanksgiving.