henless' garden, 2018

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've been getting some much needed rain. It's still hot & humid, but at least I haven't had to water.

Pumpkins are still growing like crazy. My okra is doing ok. They aren't producing as well as they usually do. Already 7 feet tall. I have to pull them over to harvest them. I need a dwarf okra.

Green beans & cucumbers have sprouted and are growing good. Hopefully they will have time to produce before first frost. Usually mid November.

Done some canning this past week or so. Put up blueberry pie filling, blueberries & chocolate strawberry jam.

Today I planted my Egyptian Walking Onions and Elephant garlic. Still have room for more garlic, so will pick some up next week.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Walking onions are so cool. I used to have some at our old house. I was down to a few, didn't dig them the day we moved (the new owner moved in that same day). When I went back a few days later to get the rest of our stuff, she had pulled my onions and ate them!

Good work on the canning. That is a lot of work, but the rewards are great!

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@baymule - When I get some to share, I'll send/bring you some. I have both the bulbets and sets. My bulbets have starting sending up shoots already!

I picked up some more garlic and finished out my bed. I also worked in some compost into 2 of my beds that I plan on using this fall. One of them I have already planted with carrots, radish and some beets. I've never grown or eaten beets, but wanted to try them. I've heard that if you roast the beets they taste different then eating the regular way (what ever regular way means). Not a fan of raw radish, but want to try them roasted. If I still don't like them, I'll give em to Mom. She loves radish.

It's been raining all day here. Nice, slow rain. We've been out in it all day working on my daughter's porch. Still humid & sticky, but the rain cools ya off.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love pickled beets! I grew some this spring, first time in many years. I canned them in vinegar/water/sugar with cloves, cinnamon and something else that I can't remember at the moment. If you want to can some, give me a shout and I post the recipe I used.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love pickled beets! I grew some this spring, first time in many years. I canned them in vinegar/water/sugar with cloves, cinnamon and something else that I can't remember at the moment. If you want to can some, give me a shout and I post the recipe I used.

I would love the recipe bay! Can't have enough recipes, both cooking & canning.

Haven't been out to the garden much. About 3 weeks ago I tore my planter fascia, so I've been on crutches since then. I am getting cucumbers & okra. Lost some of my okra last week to the strong storms that came through. Knocked about half of my okra over.

My green beans are slowly growing. If I can get enough, I'll probably save the beans for seeds next year. I had trouble getting this year's seeds to sprout. If I don't have enough, I will purchase from a different place.

Pumpkins are still growing strong as is my asparagus. It has exploded since we've been getting a good bit of rain. Hoping next year to be able to harvest some.

I have garlic up!! Actually, I have 2 up now. I noticed one pushing through the ground today when I went outside. I was hoping it would grow since the garlic was purchased from the grocery store. I know it doesn't look like much, but I've never grown garlic before.

IMG_6140.JPG

My Maximilian Sunflowers are looking lovely. The storms have knocked them over. I've threatened DH to an inch of his life if he mows them over. I want to get some seeds this year to spread them around the place. The spread through rhizomes & seeds.

IMG_6134.JPG IMG_6130.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice to see you posting henless. I always buy organic garlic from the grocery store and plant that. It always does well.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pickled Beets

8 pounds beets
4 cups vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 teaspoons pickling salt
2 cinnamon sticks, broken in small pieces
1/4 cup whole cloves

1. Trip tops off beets, leaving 2 inches of stem and all roots. This prevents the beets from bleeding.
2. Wash, sort for size.
3. Fill a large pot 1/2 full of water and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
4. Add the large beets first and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Add the medium beets and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add the small beets and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Drain, discard the liquid and soak in cold water to cool.
8. Cut off the roots and stems, slip off the skins.
9. Quarter the large beets, cut the medium in half, or you can slice them 1/4" thick.
10. In a pot, combine the vinegar, salt, sugar and water. Add the spices and bring to a boil.
11. Fill sterilized hot jars with beets, add hot vinegar solution, leaving 1/2" headspace.
12. Wipe rims, add rings and lids, tighten.
13. Put jars in water bath canner, covered with water, for 30 minutes.

I don't have a water bath canner and just use my pressure canner-I don't put the weight on the vent.

The recipe I followed said to bag the spices while boiling the vinegar solution, then discard, but I never do. The spices deepen the flavor the longer they stay in the jar.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks bay! I'll give this a try if I get enough beets this year. All the rain we've been having over the last few days, may just wash them all away. It's been raining all day here. We got 1 1/2" rain last night. Haven't looked for today yet.