Herbs growers?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
who grows herbs?

Where do you grow herbs (garden - window box - planters - indoors - outdoors)?

Do different herbs like different places or soils or moistures?

Are there ones that are hardier than others?

Can you get away with starting herb seed in a garden even thought it is tiny or should you always start it in a pot?

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I haven't started herb beds yet, but I plan to next season-always next season-lol
Right now I just plant my herbs in my flower beds between my roses and perennials.
Chives, Basils, Thyme, Rosemary and more. They do wonderfully and add interest to my beds.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine are planted in a "flower bed" too. There is this bush in their bed that I am trying to get rid of because I hate it and it makes a shade and everything. I think that's the main reason my herbs aren't thriving as much as they normally would. But they are doing OK. I get sage and thyme, lavender & mint (and the dreaded tarragon) to use whenever I want it.

Cassandra

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've got what I call my edible herb garden in the vegetable patch, but I've also got herbs interplanted throughout my gardens. This fall I'm installing a formal geometric herb garden in the front yard, I'll post pictures when it happens.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have an herb garden!

I have some of my herbs in pots. But most of them are grown strait into the garden.

All herbs need well-drained soil. My Garden has one side that has more sunlight and one that only gets sunlight in the morning. Depending on the type of herb, I put them exactly were they belong :D

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, all over, really! :)

I grow some, like basil and parsley, in with the vegetables.

In the main garden I have some areas with things which are permanent, such as raspberries. I have some of my rosemary bushes there.

I have quite a few in wine barrels. Things like sage, oregano, thyme, and savory.

In a special patch by the house, some medicinal herbs, and some perennial edibles, grow among the hostas, Japanese maples, caladiums, etc.

I also have wine barrels with some of my medicinals.

Ds's peppermint is in a huge pot, and my garden mint has a beautiful patch right next to the shade garden, between the house, and the chicken coops.

I hope I'm not forgetting anything! :)

Well, I start my basil and parsley and such from seeds sown directly in the garden, usually. On the other hand, some herbs, such as rosemary and oregano, need to be bought as plants, IMHO. They are not all created equally, and you have to like the smell of the plant you are buying a lot. If you aren't careful, you can get a rosemary which is blah, or smells/tastes like pine. And your oregano should jump out at you and scream: Pizza! ;)

Different herbs have different needs. Some don't want, or need, super rich soil, need sun, and don't like wet feet. Others are good in more shade, and mint absolutely thrives in moisture.

To learn about each one you may be considering, you can look into an herb book, look online, or get some good seed catalogs. They tell the needs of whatever they sell.

Yes, some are hardier, and some only grow until frost takes them out, others live the year round.

Good luck, herbs are important crops for aesthetics, health, practicality, and pleasure. :)

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Where do you get wine barrels anyway? I bet that is beautiful.

Cassandra

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I get mine from the wineries, but you can get them at nurseries, too, which is where my mother, in the south part of the state, got hers. :)

But the price may be more, depending if they have to ship them, and how far.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My herbs are planted in recycled ice chests that I spray painted dark green. One was red and one was blue before. Neither ice chest would keep an iceberg cold in a blizzard, if you know what I mean. In one ice chest I have planted from seed Italian parsley, sweet basil and chives. In the other one I have sage, thyme, rosemary and fern dill. The dill here is the only thing I planted from seed, all others were nursery starts. I have a pot of peppermint. In another pot I just started spearmint from seed, waiting to see if it goes or not. I also have a little bay laurel tree, but that's not lookin so good these days. :/ Those are pretty much the only herbs I use in my kitchen, so that's all I plant.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I thought about trying the barrels. They are very easy to come (living in Bourbon Country). I just haven't had much luck trying to grow any of these things in the soil types that I have here. But it may just be something I am doing.

Latest posts