Herbs growers?

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have most of my herbs in a raised bed against the south side of the house. In there I have sage, oregano, tarragon, (Hattie, try mulching yours over the winter, I read that it may need a little insulation from extreme cold), lavendar, chives, thyme, lemon balm, lemon bergamot, and chammomile. I have spring-planted garlic for greens. In the fall I will put in regular garlic.

This garden was originally a flower garden, and I can't bear to throw out flowers, so I moved them all to the far end of my herb garden. Except for the bulbs I missed! My rosemary stays in a pot, which sits out in the herb garden all summer. This year I have planted some horehound, which hasn't come up yet (just planted it a few days ago).

I have a permanent garden out in the field next to the house. There I have my rhubarb, my new asparagas, and some berries. At one end I have catnip and plan to add some other mints. I just bought a lemon verbena plant - WOW is it lemony!!!The leaves need to be rubbed a bit to bring it out, but holy moly, does it smell good. I had some in my regular morning tea yesterday, and YUM! It's too tender for our winters, so it will stay in a pot as does the rosemary.

I either buy plants or start my herbs indoors, as I don't know what the seedlings look like for most of them. I don't want to weed my baby herbs out of the garden!

I got some dill seed, too, which I haven't planted yet.

2dream

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Most of my herbs are in pots. I debated on an actual herb garden but since most herbs are invasive weeds I decided to go with pots.

Tarragon, rosemary, lavender and thyme are planted on each end of my kitchen garden because they have been there for years.

This is my first year to really grow lots of different kinds of herbs so pots just seemed to be the answer for me.

My DH built this for my pots a few weekends ago.

newherbshow.jpg

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi 2dream :frow

I think your display of herbs is lovely. I grow a lot of mine in containers -- that way I can take the vulnerable ones inside in the winter & move them around the garden in the summer. I love the display unit your DH built you is just perfect for displaying them. :clap :clap

Hi freshfood :frow

I've tried everything; mulching, floating fleece, cloche but nothing stops French Tarragon disappearing every winter. I can keep Russian Tarragon OK, but that just doesn't taste the same. I have an order in for it, along with Lemon verbena, at the moment. I can, however grow huge bushes of rosemary outside.

Happy Gardening :tools

:rose Hattie :rose

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have my herbs here there and everywhere. The garden has sage, basil, and will have at least chamomile. I'll plant my peppermint in a very large pot, and I plan to put the rosemary in the center of the peppermint just for visual height. I will put my lemongrass and thyme in another large pot, so I can bring the lemongrass in when it gets cold.. and I can get extra time out of my thyme. :lol:

I really don't like growing my peppermint in the ground since I like to put it in my tea. I just never feel like it's clean enough to float around in my tea pitcher all day. :smack

Sometimes I put herbs in my flower beds.. I like to put lavender along the sidewalk side of my front flower bed.

One year I grew a huge 20x50 herb/butterfly garden. It was exquisite for a long time.. until I was to busy to take care of it.

edited for grammatical correctness...

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is a picture from my herb garden taken a couple of years ago. It looks a little different now, but you get the idea.

1002767sz0.jpg

Actually, looking at it I think the only thing that is different is the oregano is bigger, and I have a new sage plant. (The old one was getting really woody)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wifezilla- your herb garden is lovely...I think it looks really sweet in the corner like that. I also am admiring your path- what is it made of? I have a path I used wood chips on last year- but it pretty much turned to dirt over the winter. Ready for something new.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just got done planting the herbs for this year.

In enclosed beds around the side door: chocolate, apple, grapefruit mints, spearmint, peppermint.
In an enclosed bed around the brick patio: purple, berggarten & pineapple sage, English thyme, chives, marjoram, catmint, pennyroyal, bearberry.
In pots, so it can be brought indoors in winter: scented geraniums (rose, nutmeg, Fair Ellen), rosemary, lemon verbena

In the garden, mixed in w/ veggies and flowers: various artemisias (southernwood, wormwood, mugwort), English lavender, pink-flowered lavender, blue stocking & lavender bergamot, more pennyroyal, tansy, more English thyme, lemon thyme, various basils (Genovese, Lesbos, purple opal, lemon, Thai), clary sage, parsley, garlic (hardneck & softneck), blue cohosh.

One of my favorite foods has to be fresh summer fruit salad with a dressing made of honey, pineapple sage and apple mint. And a cup of lemon verbena tea.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I also am admiring your path- what is it made of? I have a path I used wood chips on last year- but it pretty much turned to dirt over the winter.
This had been wood chips in the past, but I finally broke down and bought pea gravel. I still have to pull weeds out of it, but less than when it was mulch.

Mulch breaks down so fast in Colorado it's pointless. I resorted to slowly replacing the wood mulch with rubber mulch. It's about $8 in a big bag from Sam's.

Latest posts