Here is my garden/yard

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I went a looking for that thread on what they planted so far this year.. couldnt find it so I figured I would post it here. Each one is in its own row.. each row has 6 pods..

Tomatos
Porterhouse hybrid
4th july hybrid
giant oxheart
russian persiommon
Chico III tomato
spoon tomato
yellow lemon

Peppers
sweet macaroni red
jalapeno
Hot mix x2 rows
Banana pepper

Legumes
Lima Bean x2 rows
Green Bean x2 rows
Pea x2 rows

Gourds/Squash
Yellow crookneck squash
Zuchini Squash
Birdhouse gourd
Long neck gourd
cucumber x2 rows
artichoke

Herbs
Basil, Sweet basil
Flax x2 rows (aparently its more of a flower)

Flowers
Colombine
Shasta Daisy
Blackyeyed susan

Most of these were planted on 2/11 in little jiffy peat pods the kind you soak with water to get them to expand.. I have 198 of those right now..

I made the mistake to keep the lid on in our humid weather.. and there is a little mold on one flat.. is that a major problem.. it is just a tiny bit I uncovered them?? I am going to post this on a new thread so that I get move views.

But I have more seeds comming in the mail from the swaps so I need to get some more of those pods..

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It looks great! You sound like me, haha. Its been raining all week so I've got about 80 pots in my room planted now. I had soil and pots, and a whole mess of seeds.... why not?! :lol:

Update with pics of all of your pots! Heck, even if nothing is growing, its fun to see little pods of dirt, haha.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
5628_100_2171.jpg

one of my tomatos are finally comming up.. *it has taken forever* :smack you can barely see it.. can you see it???

this one is the yellow lemon tomato

so.. come on other little guys.. :weight you can do it!!

ETA: it has taken 13 or 14 days till this point..

ETA what i did today LOL

I picked up a bag of these kennabec potatos.. today at walmart. It was a 5lb bag and is way too much for my two baskets.. I cut up about 6 potatos.. into chunks with eyes.. some had stuff comming out and some did not.. they are sitting outside in a bowl drying up a bit.

I dug up the earth and added some oak leaves that had fallen on the ground.. *did a little raking* then we got a shovel full of chicken coop stuff and worked that into the soil. so i have about 6-8 inches of worked into good looking soil at the bottom of the bin.. all i have to add is some fertilizer.. I will add that tomorrow.. (the day ended)

I have a pile of dirt that is beside that I am going to amend and put on top of the potato starts..

5628_100_2175.jpg

questions..

The new potatos will grow above the potato starts?

How long do I have to let the potatos that I cut up dry out?

selinagil

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The leafy top part of the potato will grow above the start and the potatoes will grow below the start, off of the roots. We usually let ours dry out for a week before setting them out, but I wouldn't suggest putting them into the sun to dry---it's usually better to put them in a shady cool spot. :D

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So I went to walmart and they got in all their bonne plants.. their tomatos are very big.. and mine are just these little .. "blades of grass" Is there any hope for these this season?? I should have started them back in october.. so now I know for next season..

But should I just go and pick up a few?

How long is it going to take? Months? if it takes months then I am going to to get a few..

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well here's how some of my 'maters went last year:
Started seed 2-22
Put the seedlings into eggshells 2-29
Transplanted to assorted yogurt containers etc 3-16
Planted in garden 4-10
First tomatos 7-10

The saying I have always heard is if you are getting tomatos by July 4th you are doing good. Last year was kind of strange weather wise though...got hot very quickly in April, but May was much cooler.

amyquilt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OH wow!!! Looks great!

Can't wait until we're at that point on our new land.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bid said:
Well here's how some of my 'maters went last year:
Started seed 2-22
Put the seedlings into eggshells 2-29
Transplanted to assorted yogurt containers etc 3-16
Planted in garden 4-10
First tomatos 7-10

The saying I have always heard is if you are getting tomatos by July 4th you are doing good. Last year was kind of strange weather wise though...got hot very quickly in April, but May was much cooler.
:th

so I went to walmart bonnie section and picked up a thing of 9 plants..(the little tray had 9 plants in it) for $3 not too bad.. either better boy or big boy.. not sure but they are hybrid.. I planted them deep into the ground with egg shell and fertilizer in the hole.. buried about 80% of the plant.. at least I can see some green.. :rolleyes: we shall see how many tomatos I get.. and when.. but I learned my lesson.. I am going to start tomatos in the end of november begining of december.. I can start them outdoors and then bring them indoors when it gets really cold in late jan early feb.. even then we only got maybe 4 weeks of frozen water bowls for the chickens.. the rest was just frost.. who knows we may get cold again.. you never know with this florida weather.. the temp can fluctuate 45 degrees in one day.. :ep

can I save the seeds from these tomatos to plant again??