Here is my garden/yard

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Saving seeds from hybrids isn't really recommended as they lose their potency quicker & they also start losing genetic qualities too & do not produce as well. Heirlooms you can save seeds from again & again & never lose quality. The flavor is better in heirlooms too.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
bid said:
Well here's how some of my 'maters went last year:
Started seed 2-22
Put the seedlings into eggshells 2-29
Transplanted to assorted yogurt containers etc 3-16
Planted in garden 4-10
First tomatos 7-10

The saying I have always heard is if you are getting tomatos by July 4th you are doing good. Last year was kind of strange weather wise though...got hot very quickly in April, but May was much cooler.
:th

can I save the seeds from these tomatos to plant again??
If you want to plant from seed go get yourself a nice pack of heirloom seeds and start with those. You never know what you may or may not get with hybrid seeds.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK.. so waiting for the seeds to grow is ..well it is waiting... so in the meantime.. we are working on the rest of the yard too.. we have an above ground pool that is quite the eyesore (to me it is) it is this great big blue blob right out my back door.. so we are having it buried half way into the ground tomorrow.. *by the way* I post pics on here for my mom who lives in washington to be able to be a part of our progress here in florida... so :frow mom!!

9815_100_2181.jpg

9815_100_2182.jpg

9815_100_2180.jpg

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just took my "Big blue blob" out and turned the area into garden and am putting the new greenhouse on the deck! lol

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OH my goodess I think I am going to fall over .... I am exhausted...

two things that caught me by suprise..

#1 when you say oh lets put the pool two feet in the ground no big deal right.. WRONG .. huge deal.. even with the tractor that came to dig 95% of the hole.

#2 Do you realize how much dirt a two foot hole produces?? I didnt I thought .. oh we will just fill in holes and fill in beds.. no big deal. There is a mountain in my back yard..

all I can say is why didnt any of you KNOCK me into reality LOL :hide

:th :th :th :th :th

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
OH my goodess I think I am going to fall over .... I am exhausted...

two things that caught me by suprise..

#1 when you say oh lets put the pool two feet in the ground no big deal right.. WRONG .. huge deal.. even with the tractor that came to dig 95% of the hole.

#2 Do you realize how much dirt a two foot hole produces?? I didnt I thought .. oh we will just fill in holes and fill in beds.. no big deal. There is a mountain in my back yard..

all I can say is why didnt any of you KNOCK me into reality LOL :hide

:th :th :th :th :th
ROTFLMAO!!!!! I can't even pictures this!!!???? That blows my mind honey... sorry, but I can't stop chuckling. I've never had to deal with a pool and we never will since we have a septic system back there.

A mountain!? LOL

I'd make it a bit shorter, push it out some.... line it with rocks, cover it in butterfly bushes and wildflowers. Then surround the mound with benches and bird bathes :)

Just a suggestion! ;)

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
5628_100_2202.jpg

5628_100_2204.jpg

so here is the mound.. and the hole..

we have a septic as well but it is on the other side of the yard. So it is not involved...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's insane! You have more patience and determination then I do! I would have just been gone with the pool or hired someone if I really wanted to keep it.

So have you decided what to do about the mound?

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got my SASE envelope from wintersown.org today. I actually got two.. I stuck three envelopes in there two for me and one for my mother.. her garden is smaller than mine..

so here is what I got..

veggies..
calabrese broccoli
chinese parsley
yellow pear cherry tomato
tigerella tomato (I was just eyeballing these in a magazine) :ya
roma paste tomato
lil pink tomato
homestead tomato
isis candy variant tomato
chudo rinka tomato
Ace 55 tomato
Brandywine tomato
italian flat leaf parsley

flowers..
Black eyed susanlacy phacelia
blue boy bachelor buttons
evening primrose
columbine mix
blackberry lilies
mexican hat

rapa centroventina this says broccoli rabe (what is this??)

sooooo I had to run to walmart and get more peat pods.. LOL I love this..