hey, can herbs do well in pots?

tomatokate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've got a lot of pots, and not much space in the ground, so herbs in pots would be good. BUT, I knew a lady who had herbs in the garden, and in the ground, and the ones in the pots were much smaller and less... extravagant.:happy_flower

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have all my herbs in pots and some in the ground. The only one's I've noticed a size difference are my sweet basil. Everything else is growing well. I do have them in rather large pots.

They all taste great to me... I don't think it matters honestly, long as its good soil and they are well watered! :D

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, the herbs i have are in pots so that i can bring them indoors for the winter, their not hardy. But yes herbs do well in pots provided they have plenty of room. Mints do well in containers, in fact they should be grown in containers since they grow like weeds and can spread if grown in ground.
What kinds of herbs were you thinking about planting in pots?

:watering

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
this is my first year with herbs, and they are in pots, i have full sun on our patio so pots it is. my son has the grass area in the the back yard and my front yard is to shady for anything .. i think i'm doing pretty good with them .. they smell great and look great .. i am going to use the parsley later this week in dinner .. i figure it has to taste better than dried store bought ..
maybe just try 2 or 3 of your favorites and see ..

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The "dry mediterranean climate" type herbs can do real well in pots, to the point of sometimes being tastier because of being grown hotter and drier than may be possible in the ground some places. This includes oregano, rosemary, thyme, some sages, etc. They do have to be *well* grown in pots to get this effect, of course. Meaning, good sized pot with right growing medium, well-tended.

IME the more moisture- or part-shade-loving herbs, like basil, parsley, and mint, can certainly be grown in pots and if you are good at growing things outdoors in pots you can get pretty decent results but they don't benefit from it and in most cases they do better in the ground.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts