HF Greenhouses

mamato3

Sprout
Reaction score
I did a search and see some of you guys have hF greenhouses. We have 1 and have been wanting to use it in the winter and early spring. Would love to use it know but how do you keep the temp above freezing? Ive got kitchen windows and bathroom windows full of peppers and tomatoes. Im to scared to leave them in there at night. Were in zone 6 sw mo. I think we finialy are warming up so everything is going out and i might leave them over night as night time temps are going to be above 30.

mamato3

Sprout
Reaction score
Harbor Freight
Im thinking these fall about stacking straw against the north wall. Or at the very least try a big tarp.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK,
The 6 Ft. x 8 Ft. and 10 Ft. x 12 Ft. Greenhouse you can supplement the buy putting a heater inside of it.

Chris

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
A heater is certainly an option. If it looks like just a couple nights below freezing, you can also cover the flats inside the green house. The other option is moving plants back in the house, when the prediction dictates it. This does get to be a real drag, if you have to do it more than once or twice!
I am hoping to use mine to extend the seasons as well. I won't try warm weather loving plants. I want to try lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, etc...
I think you are going to have to experiment. Don't risk all your plants at once. Get a thermometer, and give it a try! Let us know what you learn...

mamato3

Sprout
Reaction score
Its the 10x12 I'm totally new to a greenhouse so im learning as i go. I just figured it got warm in there quicker and you can start things earlier im finding out thats not true lol. well to some point it is but heat is needed which i did not figure into the original thought. This was all hubbys doing told him i want no part in it. But im the gardener he is not lol so know im learning all about using a greenhouse.
I just set out in the greenhouse 10 Early Girls, 7 broccoli, 10 leaf lettuce. Which are all in the little Jiffy seed starter pods and in the plastic 4 packs. I also go a big Kale plant from the bounty shop for free and its out there. Bad thing its wilted so i guess i need to figure out what it likes could it be planted in a pot and set outside already? Was going to put it in the ground but our garden is not ready yet.
I have a plan to plant a fall croup of lettuce and other cool weather crop and an early crop in the spring. But hubby has this crazy idea to grow tomatoes yr round in there. I dont think it will go over unless heated.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can put that kale outside in a big pot. Just harden it off a little. (Don't put it in full sun, all day, right away.) If the leaves get too wilty, just cut them off a little above the dirt, and it will regrow from the roots.
Growing tomatoes in a greenhouse year round is an expensive proposition... They really want it 70 degrees and warmer. That is a lot of heat. Many other things aren't going to need that much heat. I am planning on extending my seasons, not growing all year.
Good luck!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have the same G/H. Right now I have lettuce, b/sprouts, koli rabi, broc, strawberries, onions and asp. in my G/H
I do all my plant starting inside and when the plants are hardy and large enough I move them to the G/H.
I don't think tomatos, peppers or flower starts woul survive in there right now and I don't want to spend the money to heat the thing!!!
Within the next couple of weeks I think I'll be able to start another round of tomato plants and I will do them out there.
Around here (East side of MO) I won't plant tomatoes or peppers into the garden until at least mid April.
Good luck with you green house.

THANX RICH

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I know that this would depend on what you are growing, but is there a general temperature that you should maintain at night? I have been keeping mine at around 40 degrees when the nights are down around freezing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chilly, chilly LVVCHAP!

You can find a table including Minimum Night Temperature (F) on this webpage: UMass Extension, Greenhouse Crops (click).

Hey LVVCHAP, I used your signature on a recent thread . . . something about the "Forlorn Robin" in my backyard. I appreciate the thoughts associated :).

Steve

Latest posts