Hi, from Canada

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi aftermidnight. You and I have something in common, I'm not that computer savvy either! But I think you are probably much better than I. I can never stay up after midnight, not even when I was young. Anyway, I'm glad you've joined us. You will really like this place. I hope you post often so that we can get to know you.

Mary

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another VI dweller! Welcome.:D

Other than some scarlet runner's, of which the seeds that have been in my family for over 50 years, I am guilty of not following the heritage variety's of beans.
I was initially growing beans for sales to local restaurants, or Farmers Markets, so grew what I think were probably hybrids, such as Lynxs Filet. Wonderful eating, stringless, less prone to breakage, virus resistant, and high production.
Nowadays I grow mostly for my own larder, so I will have to try a few of the heritage variety's. Any in particular you recommend?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Bills, gosh what to recommend, so many good ones. I have about 200 varieties in my collection, mostly heirlooms. Some I haven't even grown yet, some I had so few I grow for seed and haven't even had a taste yet. Where on the island are you located? If you need some seed :).
Some of my favorites to date are....
EMILIA'S ITALIAN POLE...I was given seed for this one back in 1965 by a neighbor who said it had been grown in our south Nanaimo neighborhood since the the early 1900's. This is the bean that started it all for me, trying to track down the history I started acquiring heirloom varieties of Italian pole beans to see if any of them were the same as mine. 'Uncle Steve's Italian pole' bean were the closest I came to mine, close but no cigar. I was advised to give them a name since I'd started sharing them with others, so I did 'Auntie Vi's Italian pole bean' (Vi for Vancouver Island).
While searching for the identity of the bean I had been growing all these years I got hooked on other heirloom beans, mostly pole because I don't have a big garden area, I'm growing pole beans in the oddest places :). One of the crisper drawers in the fridge is crammed full of heirloom bean seed, plus shoe boxes and you name it LOL. A couple of years ago just by accident I found out the history on my Auntie Vi's (another story which I won't go into, when I get on a roll I get on a roll). I changed the name to 'Emilia's Italian Pole Bean' in honor of the Italian immigrant who brought this bean with her when she immigrated to Canada in 1911, she lived on the same street as I do about a mile down the road.
UNCLE STEVE'S (pole)...very close to my Italian but I think my Italian stays tender just a tad longer.
CHEROKEE TRAIL OF TEARS (pole)... another one of our favorites.
TENNESSEE CUTSHORTS (pole)... this one best eaten as a full bean, you have to string them, but, oh so tasty.
MR. TUNG'S (pole)... another brought to Canada by a chinese immigrant early 1900's
BARKSDALE (wax, pole)...This one can be a little difficult getting seed, depends on the season we have, but oh so tasty.
GIGANDES (white runner from Greece)... finally had enough beans to make the Greek dish 'Gigandes Plaki' delicious.
BOSNIAN POLE... another tasty pole bean, freshly harvested seed is white/black speckles and streaks, the brown shows up as the seed ages.
ZELMA ZESTA (pole)... another good snap bean.

BLUE JAY (bush)... is one of the bush beans I will grow, hard to beat this one. I'll be growing it again next year, this year its Woods Mountain Crazy Beans turn :)
WOODS MOUNTAIN CRAZY BEANS (bush)...another very prolific tasty bush bean, according to the gal who put this one into circulation it's a good canner too.

There's lots more tasty heirlooms but these are what came to mind right now.

Annette

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
sSig_welcome4.gif from way down here in Virginia.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very Interesting!..thanks for the info..:D

I actually have a pack of those CHEROKEE TRAIL OF TEARS, but have never planted them..I should give them a shot..
Funny how the variety's get personal names attached to them..You never know, but they may even be a common variety still readily available. I found that out with some pole bean seeds I rec'd from a friend a few years back. She called them "Val's Dad's Favorites". I grew them and they are a great eating bean, string-less if picked young, and tender as can be.
Low and behold at one of the local farmers markets, I spot the same bean being sold. I told the vendor I grew them as well, and always called them Val's Dad's Favorites. He said, " We just call them Romano". Turns out that's exactly what they were..lol

Latest posts