Hi from France!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Baymule,
We're raising bastards, a mix between charmoise, texel and a local breed. OMG sounds hot for sheep! Do you harvest wool?
No wool, they are a hair breed. Good mothers, most have twins. Yes it is hot and humid. They do well, just need shade to get out of the heat of the day. Parasites are terrible due to the heat and humidity. I’m working on a parasite resistant flock. I’ve culled hard for that.
There are a lot of coyotes here, I have Anatolian livestock guard dogs that keep my sheep safe. Also bobcats and occasional cougar.

Paul G

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Sounds very wild over there!
Here we are getting new parasites coming from the south (due to warmer temps and more humid air). I wish you success in your breeding program!
Wolves are being reintroduce in Europe, they are getting closer and closer. We did not have any attacks in our region. Once they'll be here, we will probably have to get Patou to protect the sheeps.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What breeds of Livestock Guard Dogs are available in France? Great Pyrenees? I had 2 Great Pyrenees, wonderful dogs. They prepared me for the Anatolians. The Anatolians are a more independent, stubborn and intense breed. I hope to get another one next year.

There are wolves in the north western states, but none here. We also have feral hogs, a scourge. It’s legal to hunt them at night, from helicopters, basically any way except shooting off a road.

There is a sheep forum on BYH.
www.backyardherds.com
Why don’t you join and tell us about your sheep? There is also a Livestock Guard Dog forum, plus all the farm animals. It’s fun and informative to learn animal husbandry in other countries.

Paul G

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yep primarly Great Pyrénées!
We (France) have wild boars that got crossed with escaped pigs, quite dramatic for the crops...
Why do you guys always have to jump in helicopters to do things lol.
Thanks for the invitations! I have a limited amount of time, I might join later, there so much information here!
Take care.

Latest posts