Hi from Holland

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just looked up Carolus which seems to be available here. Sounds like a good one. I grew Carola (which I thought might be the same at first) one year and it was very productive and such a pretty yellow flesh.

This year I just grew what was available at the feed store, since I've had scab in the past and didn't want to put out much money if my potatoes weren't going to do well. No scab this year, but also not much of a harvest. The Purple Vikings did well, the Yukon Gold and Red Norland were disappointing.

Is that a canal on the right side of your garden?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you all!

@aftermidnight
Annette yes, we already met on the ELBN. I'm still hoping you will find those lime green beans someday in your freezer. ;)
What was the bean you were searching for? You are way closer to Bluejay than me! I'm just getting started, and there are so many pretty beans to try and feast my eyes on... :ya

@thejenx the bean I was looking for was 'Bob and Mary', it had been grown in British Columbia the beginning of the last century but disappeared, being an heirloom pass along and not being sold commercially this quite often happens. It did end up in the UK in the Heritage Seed Library, still I couldn't get it from them.
Thanks to Bluejay, he found a contact in the UK for me and I now have them growing in my garden. All I know is they are a pole bean, the pods turn quite yellow as the seed develops, not sure if it's considered a wax bean or green. Hubby is looking after the garden right now, as I'm still laid up. He's not a gardener but he's keeping everything alive and watered:).
Still looking for another one, Sarah's Old Fashioned Black, once grown here on Vancouver Island, originally in the states. It also made it's way to the UK and I found someone who might be able to send me a few seeds in the fall.

Annette

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom
I'll update you about the Carolus after I harvested and tried them. I Would not call the water next to the garden a canal, google translate calls it a ditch. There's a little more water in it than a foot high. My uncle lives in the windmill that used to mill the water out after rainfall. Nowadays there's an electrical pump that works automatically. Although he still works the mill and sometimes still mills the water out. This windmill is less than a mile away and visible from the garden.

@aftermidnight That is so cool, being able to find such old beans and then grow them to multiply! I've just gotten the Conserva beans from Russ. Originally from Germany, but I couldn't find them in Europe.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! I love your garden and hope to see more pictures. This is a great group of people, I know you will love it here. So happy that you joined us!

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Hallo van mij ook, blij dat je bij ~ kwam~ it will be very nice having word from Netherlands~I will look for all that you write~I've heard the land is very fertile~ I though Leiden would be so built up there would be no place for a garden~just re read your post you said near Leiden~I was going to ask if moma's place was on or near the water or on a canal~again welcome```

Richard

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! I love all that space you have. Wish I could have one tenth of it. Somehow I manage to cram a lot into my tiny yard and make it work.

Mary

Latest posts