Hi from Holland

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi!

My name is Jen, I live in Rotterdam but my garden is in a small town near Leiden at my mom's place.
I'm into seedsaving, and actually got into gardening because a local seed saving organisation handed out free seeds. Couldn't let them go to waste ;)
That was 4 years ago. I've started with just a small part of the veggie garden, but slowly but surely I have taken over the whole thing.

I found TEG while searching for some rare beans and came across the Little Easy Bean Network threads. And then I read them all and decided I had to join!

I garden completely natural, no chemicals. My garden is designed using permaculture principles. I even made a hugelkultur but that was a faillure, I'm contemplating to make a regular raised bed out of it. Next year I wanna try to grow potatoes from seeds (TPS), yesterday I extracted seeds from seed balls from my potatoes which I plan to use for this. I like trying out new things to see what works and what not.

IMAG6203.jpg
Dairy farms all around us, it's called the green heart of Holland.

IMAG6204.jpg

My mom's place

IMAG6363.jpg IMAG6377.jpg IMAG6574.jpg
the peaches did really well this year. Orange cherrytomatoes. 1st part of the potatoes this year: Blue de la Manche and 'Casa Blanca' in the back.

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow @thejenx :welcome from Eastern Iowa, USA

Glad to see you here all the way from Holland! 'I like the interspersment of flowers in the vegetable bed. (red poppies :love) The peaches look great. We had blue potatoes for the 1st time last year. FUN.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from north Idaho U.S. @thejenx !
I like the wide open sky you have, and nice garden area. :)

Potatoes are one of my favorite crops, but the last few years have not been very productive. Bintje is a favorite variety, which I believe originated in Holland. (?) Magic Molly is a lovely deep purple all the way through and doesn't lose too much color when cooked. That's probably my top favorite.

It's good to have you join us, and thanks for posting pictures! We enjoy getting visuals of everyone's gardens and growing grounds.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:welcome I know you are going to love it here, my ears perked up when I read you were looking for a rare bean, I too am a seed saver and my main interest is pole beans, Right now I'm growing a pole bean I'd been looking for, 4 years of searching and 4 months less 4 days in the mail, collecting seed from these is right around the corner. I have a fairly large collection of bean varieties but nowhere near the amount of varieties Bluejay has.

Annette

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you all!

@thistlebloom
This is my best potato year so far. 1st year for the BDLM, tastewise it's ok, but so far is Casa Blanca my best tasting one, although last year it didn't store too good.
I also have Sarpo Mira, which stores better and also for the first time: Alouette and Carolus.

@aftermidnight
Annette yes, we already met on the ELBN. I'm still hoping you will find those lime green beans someday in your freezer. ;)
What was the bean you were searching for? You are way closer to Bluejay than me! I'm just getting started, and there are so many pretty beans to try and feast my eyes on... :ya

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome. Love the buildings in background. Looking forward to your posts

Latest posts