Hi from Nampa ID

One eyed wiliam

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm actually a new transplant to Nampa via Las Vegas where I was born and raised. if you've ever lived in Vegas you'll know getting things to grow is a challenge. though i tried and tried I never really grew anything i would call "successful." i did have a nice patch of nopales and have perfected a great cactus salsa recipe that even my hispanic friends said was as good as their abuela's. I'm very excited to be here in the treasure valley i see gardens in nearly every backyard, and can't wait to get cracking.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Arkansas, glad to have you join us. I can imagine you have seen a big change with the move. You'll find a few people from your general area active on here. Just join in and have some fun.

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your first winter might be a bit more of a challenge. Never be afraid to ask questions of those nice folk, they will happily give advice on winterizing your home and yard... and you have us here at TEG for that too!
Just PLEASE be safe driving on the bad roads that come with bad weather. The worst hazard is not the road conditions but the idiots who drive like "bats outta h&ll" on those roads. Take it slow and easy, give yourself plenty of time to get to where you are going. Our roads can be clear and dry until you go around a corner or bend where the sun doesn't/hasn't reached and hit an icy patch. You will figure those places out in no time as you get familiar with your area.
Idaho is beautiful and a great place to pick the pace you want to live.

One eyed wiliam

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Your first winter might be a bit more of a challenge. Never be afraid to ask questions of those nice folk, they will happily give advice on winterizing your home and yard... and you have us here at TEG for that too!
Just PLEASE be safe driving on the bad roads that come with bad weather. The worst hazard is not the road conditions but the idiots who drive like "bats outta h&ll" on those roads. Take it slow and easy, give yourself plenty of time to get to where you are going. Our roads can be clear and dry until you go around a corner or bend where the sun doesn't/hasn't reached and hit an icy patch.
Idaho is beautiful and a great place to pick the pace you want to live.
Thanks for the tips the only thing so far i get conflicting info on is should sub floor vents be open or closed in the winter any help would be appreciated

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We keep ours open, the whole idea is to have ventilation in the subfloor so moisture/mold can not build up. They also help with heat exchange so pipes don't freeze and it doesn't seem to affect our heating bill. Our winters are usually pretty wet. Just my opinion.

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We keep ours open,
DH just corrected me.:hide
He closes the ones on the windward sides, which is north and east for us. Our area gets a lot of wind. Says that is why our pipes don't freeze when other neighbors do.
Sorry for the wrong info. :oops:

Latest posts