Hi from Nampa ID

One eyed wiliam

Leafing Out
Reaction score
DH just corrected me.:hide
He closes the ones on the windward sides, which is north and east for us. Our area gets a lot of wind. Says that is why our pipes don't freeze when other neighbors do.
Sorry for the wrong info. :oops:
Lol its ok thats been the story with my neighbors one says kepp em open for air flow the other says close em to keep the hat in so pipes dont freeze sounds like ypu have a mix of the two i may try the mix

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, William!

I have a partial basement with both a natural gas furnace and water heater, down there.

The floors are insulated above the crawl spaces beneath several rooms.

A building inspector told me that the basement isn't large enough and the house doesn't leak air well enough for oxygen to feed both fires. He stood and looked at me until I committed myself to leaving one vent out of 3 open through the winter. It is the most protected from wind and I leave it open year round.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you may whant to install thin walled metal pipe from the outside to the furnace and water heater for cumbustion air . Contact your local utility for sizing of the pipe. Be sure to install screens on both ends to keep rats, mice and insects out.

Latest posts