Hi from New Zealand

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a great variety of fruit trees! Welcome to TEG, we love to grow things and talk about growing things and eating from our gardens. You will fit in here! We like lots of pictures, so feel free to post all you want.

We moved 4 years ago, we have 2 peach trees, just starting to bear, 1 apricot (nothing yet) 1 pear (it has a few tiny baby pears on it) and a loquat. We pick wild Elderberries and cherry sized wild plums.

What is your soil like? Sandy, clay? This may be the only place you will ever find where people admire pictures of dirt. LOL

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from WV!!! I've always wanted to visit NZ also! Such a beautiful, wild land.

Chickens...just extend the wire above the top fence rail/posts about 8 -10 in. and that will keep them from being able to fly and land on a nice spot for jumping down on the other side. If you can't do it with fencing, just placing a nice, tight wire or two there instead will prevent the same. :)

Yes...what kind of soil do you have there? Average rainfall and growing season? Got any pics of your place? :pop

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from north Idaho! You sure do have a lot of fruit trees! I second the picture requests, it's a treat to see other gardens on different continents. :)

Lets see, I'll list my fruit trees -
1. Apples
I know! Not exciting at all.
But of the 5 I planted on the driveway, Prairie Fire crabapples, all but one graft died and the rootstocks grew. They actually produce some pretty good fruit. All 4 are different, two are good fresh eating and two are good pie and sauce apples. And the remaining PF crab is very showy in the spring.

Oh yeah, we also have Serviceberries aka Saskatoons wild on the property.

I just remembered I also have blueberries! Haha.
Not firing on all my cylinders yet.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello @Trish Stretton . Anywhere but here is EXOTIC ;) I grew up and still live in Iowa. About 10 miles inland from the Mississippi River. DH and I live in a small town but own 2 acres outside of town were we have many fruit trees, vegetable and flower gardens and the BEES. Sadly we went into last winter with 14 hives and NONE Survived so we are staring over. DH retired in Oct. I will in June :) So the hope is we will be able to maintain the gardens and bees better now.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello @Trish Stretton . Anywhere but here is EXOTIC ;) I grew up and still live in Iowa. About 10 miles inland from the Mississippi River. DH and I live in a small town but own 2 acres outside of town were we have many fruit trees, vegetable and flower gardens and the BEES. Sadly we went into last winter with 14 hives and NONE Survived so we are staring over. DH retired in Oct. I will in June :) So the hope is we will be able to maintain the gardens and bees better now.

Oh, Carol, I didn't know that your bees didn't make it through the winter! That is sad, and expensive, I would think. but your husband can save bees that are swarming, right? so maybe he will get more that way. Do you think the winter was just too harsh?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, Carol, I didn't know that your bees didn't make it through the winter! That is sad, and expensive, I would think. but your husband can save bees that are swarming, right? so maybe he will get more that way. Do you think the winter was just too harsh?
HE is not sure what happened. A combination of things. Maybe we did not leave them enough honey, They could not access the new feeding system, the prolonged cold spells. A big learning curve with bees. Yes EXPENSIVE. He is also hoping to catch some swarms. He did order TEN Queens and bees. $$$

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no!! @Carol Dee the BEES! I am so sad for y'all. Retirement will be awesome, you will be able to play in the garden and spend time doing the things that you love to do. I hope that your husband is able to winter over the bees next winter.

Today we are going to finish dragging tree branches and tops to the burn pile from a patch of green briars and wild tangled growth that we have been working on to get cleaned up.

Latest posts