Hi, I am new here from Indiana

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, you will love it here. The people are very nice and knowledgeable. How big will your garden be?

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
A big TEXAS HOWDY!!! :welcome I grew cauliflower for the first time. It's scalding hot in the summer here and mild winters, so broccoli and cauliflower are fall crops. I planted both from seed the first of September and they are still producing. I planted Purple of Scicily (cauliflower) from Baker Creek www.rareseeds.com and we love it!

POL01

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I love it already! I will make sure and post pics...My garden can't be too big because I live in a subdivision...But if a few years we will be looking for a house with some land!! Then I will do a big garden!! Right now I have 6 raised beds.

POL01

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yes, it is much bigger than a city lot but I have big dreams for a huge garden!! and these raised beds are in my front yard. My backyard is big enough for the kids swing set and the dog!! lol...I will be happy for the room I have though and not complain :)

POL01

Leafing Out
Reaction score
have you heard of the corn you can plant on your deck...in a container??

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Polo, there are several varieties of corn that can grow in containers.

The smallest and quickest is GASPE FLINT Corn.
Strawberry popcorn is also small enough for it.
Polar Vee and EarliVee are sweet corns good for containers too.
I used to grow my Japonica Striped Maize in containers.

If you grow any variety of corn shorter than 5 foot tall it should work. The taller of those will not grow full height, and will stunt down to more like 4 foot, but if the container is large enough and they are not crowded, it works. Best to have several containers close for pollination. They'll need great soil, which you have, and added meal type nutrients like bone meal and a little kelp meal. That gives a good combined something like 5 15 3 with the good things like Calcium from the bone meal, plus all your nutrients and micros in your worm poo. For container corn growing, look for quick and short varieties, and large containers. 5 gallons is minimal for 3 very small plants in nutrient dense soil.

There is a variety called tom thumb if i recall. a true dwarf corn. I don't think there is any corn quicker or smaller than gaspe flint though.

POL01

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for liking my page!! :) Does this corn taste good?? like regular corn?

Latest posts