Hi, I am new here from Indiana

POL01

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi, I am a mom of three and wife of a retired combat wounded veteran. I wasn't into gardening until my husband got out of the Army a few years ago. Now I love it! Just waiting for this weather to go away so I can plant. My husband also enjoys it and loved the idea so much he decided to start a worm farm! We have lots of fun with it and are able to know we use organic fertilizer, not too mention helps the plants so much. I can't wait to get advice and give some advice I have learned along the way! So hello everybody!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome! Sounds like you have spring fever, like the rest of us! What are you planning on growing this year?

POL01

Leafing Out
Reaction score
cucumbers, tomato's, peppers(yummy),I want to try cauliflower this year...and of course a ton of flowers! Have you done cauliflower? Is it hard to grow or maintain?? and yes, I have spring fever!! :) lol

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi POLO1, :welcome !

I would love to hear more about your worm farm when you have time. And see pics of the nice veggies you grow with all that wonderful fertilizer! Please tell your husband that we thank him for his service, too. I am sorry to hear that he was wounded.

ETA: I have grown cauliflower a couple of times. It is tricky to start from seed, then easy to grow, but I have had no luck on the harvesting part as mine formed nice heads that suddenly turned to mush with black rot. :/ I've had good luck with broccoli and cabbage though.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome. Depending upon what part of Indiana, some things like cauliflour and broccoli are better fall crops. We go from great weather for them to too hot real quick. Plus with cauliflour, you've got to cover the head or it turns a non-creamy white color real fast. Altho the taste of fresh cauliflour will almost turn you off of store bought.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG :frow!

I think of worm castings as the most important part of the potting soil I buy.

It is also a good thing to have lots of earth worms in the garden soil. My over-wintered compost can be just "teeming" with red worms by spring! I am real happy to have them there.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Visited a commercial worm farm couple of weeks ago. Interesting. They used 5 gal buckets filled w/peat moss. When worms done, peat moss is all castings. They seperate them, sell the worms and deliver huge bags of castings. Start all over again w/young hatched from eggs. They are kept in very warm rooms. Worms were a special African specie.

Latest posts