Home Made Vanilla

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! You are going to have enough vanilla to flavor the whole state! Mine took a while to get good and strong; I think about 4 months. So don't get discouraged waiting. I think I only used about 3 beans in a pint of bourbon, though. I used Maker's Mark. That's some good vanilla! :D

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
buy some raw sugar, put a vanilla bean in it. put in a pretty jar & close up tight. wonderful on muffin tops & such.
you know you have to make some ice cream too don't you? ;)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm, what flavor alcohol to steep the vanilla in?
(Putting on my used to be a bartender thinking cap)

Wellp, for the spendy deluxe, gotta make it with a fine imported cigar fresh lit in mouth, in a walnut paneled room, Lagavullin Whiskey.

For the whoa way too sweet and cinamonny, After Shock...ahhh. No.

For the serious boozers, everclear...bleyeech!

Hmmm, howabout bombay blue saphire gin? I bet that would be real good.

Hmm, try it in that orange cognac (really a liquer) with the impossible to pronounce name breixtenghleurezwhatthehayicantsayit. Can you? I bet that one would be real good!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I make this all the time! We sure do go through a lot of vanilla here. I even sell 4oz bottles for $8 each with the bean in it.

I'm telling you, I save soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much money making our own with how much we bake here. I always have a Quart size jar. When I finish it with the beans in it, I just add more vodka. It works about 3 times before I have to add more beans. I usually do about 10 beans cut in half in that jar.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
I make this all the time! We sure do go through a lot of vanilla here. I even sell 4oz bottles for $8 each with the bean in it.

I'm telling you, I save soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much money making our own with how much we bake here. I always have a Quart size jar. When I finish it with the beans in it, I just add more vodka. It works about 3 times before I have to add more beans. I usually do about 10 beans cut in half in that jar.
How long do you soak the beans? After 3 times, do you do something else with the used beans?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bottled up some vanilla this week. I let this batch soak for almost 2 months. I couldn't stand it any more! I made egg custard and a buttermilk pie and they were sooooooo good! I poured vodka over the vanilla beans to soak again. I also started another batch of vanilla, soaking in a 1/2 gallon of rum. This makes cooking more fun and tastier too!

I am saving glass bottles now. I am using cooking sherry bottles, soy sauce and teriyaki sauce bottles. They make great vanilla bottles!

Latest posts