Home Made Vanilla

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made some last year for Christmas presents (and one big jar for me) and since it was too close to Christmas, not enough time to "brew", I've had them in the basement on the canning shelf all year. Ought to be reeeeaaally good stuff for this year's gifts though. :p

Which do you like better? Soaked in vodka or rum? I went with the vodka for this first round, but I kinda think the rum would add a little more depth to the flavor.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yum, that vanilla sounds delicious!! I should make some...i put vanilla in practically everything i bake.

I am making some concentrated lavender extract right now. The link I read about it had you marinate the fresh lavender for a week or so in vodka, then strain the lavender out. Then put in a canning jar with a coffee filter held on by the ring, so the alcohol can evaporate some and you get a better flavor. Anybody try this with vanilla?? I havent used any of my extract yet but its reduced in volume to about 1/8, maybe even smaller.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I made some last year for Christmas presents (and one big jar for me) and since it was too close to Christmas, not enough time to "brew", I've had them in the basement on the canning shelf all year. Ought to be reeeeaaally good stuff for this year's gifts though. :p

Which do you like better? Soaked in vodka or rum? I went with the vodka for this first round, but I kinda think the rum would add a little more depth to the flavor.
I just started the rum, so I don't know how that will taste. Should make some butt kicking fruit cake though. :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I have to tell ya'll, home made vanilla makes the best ice cream in the world. I thought home made vanilla ice cream was good, but using my own vanilla took it to a whole 'nother level! :drool I still have the half gallon of rum soaking and the other half gallon of vodka soaking too. I am about out of the first batch, so maybe I need to go bottle up batch #2......... Oh, I gave a few bottles of batch #1 at Christmas and it was well received. This is great stuff.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, do you put any of the vanilla bean seeds in your ice cream? That's my favorite kind, vanilla bean. :)

I gave out a few jars of homemade vanilla at Christmas this year, but only one recipient was inclined to have vodka on hand (to re-brew it.) The others all said they would have to go buy theirs the next county over, so no one would gossip. :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When it comes to vanilla, I NEVER use what the recipe calls for. One and a half teaspoons?? Oh heck no, give the bottle a couple of glugs! :lol: So, yes, I overdose the vanilla, storebought or home made, so you could say that I use the same amount. :gig

I have not tried to put vanilla beans in the ice cream, I'll try it next time. I didn't have to go the next county over to buy the vodka, but I sure got some funny looks when people came over. I had to explain......

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Haha, sounds just like me following recipes... ONE stick of butter? Noway, think i'll put 2...

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most artificial vanilla have propylene glycol in them, which I'm dead set against in any form, so I make my own also. That vanilla is a killer deal though! I'll have to grab some.

Latest posts