Reaction score
The last harvest of 2023 homegrown herbs - Lemon Balm
13779.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is the fake blueberry? :eek:

i think they are talking about these sorts of things (a vile frankenfood IMO):

note ingredients: "Ingredients: Sugar, corn syrup, corn cereal, modified food starch, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (cottonseed and/or soybean), artificial flavor, red #40, green #3, blue #1."

p.s. they are disgusting.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The "blueberries" were part of a boxed blueberry muffin mix! I think they make fake blueberries out of flour, food coloring, and sugar!

and would you willingly and knowingly ever eat those again? i had them once and could not even finish the muffin and i really hate hate hate wasting food of any kind.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sage grows very well recently, I guess they prefer cooler weather and some rain. I picked the young leaves on the top and would dry them later for tea. The lower parts (of all herbs I grow) would be also dried but used as the filling of my next herb pillows.
13970.jpg

Not much catnip left - I will harvest them all soon. As they are perennials, I take them as a tiny investment for our cats' meal ingredients and the simple cat pillows I will sell in my shop.
13972.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would really like to encourage everyone to experiment with our culinary herbs in the mint family, and tell us what they learn.

As I have shared before, heedless of the many mints that we have had in the past, several were deliberately eliminated. I was just not interested in spearmint/peppermint and unappreciative of lemon balm. This, despite/because of all the mints in our everyday lives and, with lemon balm – despite liking citrus flavor in drinks. And now, I put our dried spearmint in with the orange zest and licorice root, purchased 🙄.

The family of Lamiales is vast. It includes some plants that would be unsuitable for consumers. I have just learned of a poisonous one said to cause paralysis! A favorite culinary herb is related lemon verbena but so is digitalis. I won't be trying that one but there is just no reason to drift far afield with so many in the culinary column ;).

And, try fresh and dried. I would never have learned that catnip dried is acceptable to this olde dog :).

Steve

Latest posts