Homegrown Herbal Tea

Phaedra Geiermann

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There was a storm last weekend, so I harvested 80% of the chamomiles and put them in the water - most of the flowers will keep blooming, and it looked lovely.

With this method, they are pretty cut flowers with a sweet scent. We enjoy them with our eyes and noses.
3275_0.jpg

Today, I have plenty of time, so I do the final harvesting. You don't need to stay in the garden and try to collect those tiny flowers. I simply brought the vase inside and harvested them while watching Netflix.

4914.jpg

Another advantage, is you can stop whenever you want - and the rest of them can still be a decorative item in any corner.

4913.jpg

P6070309.jpg

Usually, it is suggested to harvest them when they are in a fuller blossom - for securing the most essence.
P6070310.jpg

This status will be a bit late, but well, totally ok for me.
P6070304.jpg

They are just lovely.
4919.jpg

Now they are drying in the greenhouse with Roses.
3372.jpg

I took the petals only, as Bees love them so much.
3363.jpg

3360.jpg

Marie2020

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There was a storm last weekend, so I harvested 80% of the chamomiles and put them in the water - most of the flowers will keep blooming, and it looked lovely.

With this method, they are pretty cut flowers with a sweet scent. We enjoy them with our eyes and noses.
View attachment 49352

Today, I have plenty of time, so I do the final harvesting. You don't need to stay in the garden and try to collect those tiny flowers. I simply brought the vase inside and harvested them while watching Netflix.

View attachment 49355

Another advantage, is you can stop whenever you want - and the rest of them can still be a decorative item in any corner.

View attachment 49356

View attachment 49357

Usually, it is suggested to harvest them when they are in a fuller blossom - for securing the most essence.
View attachment 49358
This status will be a bit late, but well, totally ok for me.
View attachment 49359
They are just lovely.
View attachment 49360

Now they are drying in the greenhouse with Roses.
View attachment 49361

I took the petals only, as Bees love them so much.
View attachment 49362
View attachment 49363
Beautiful 😍

Phaedra Geiermann

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is one trick about herbs - it's very popular here to see potted Basil, Parsley, Mint, and Chives in the supermarkets. Their price is usually about two euros.
However, the plants are more than overcrowded, as the product is designed for people to use once or twice (and then directly discard the plants).

Last year, I tried to divide one small pot of Parsley into six, which worked well. When we visited a supermarket that was renovated and re-opened after the flood, I bought a pot of basil again.

I didn't have time to divide them immediately but pinched every top. On June 19, I divided them into 15 pots - 12 in 9cm pots and 3 in 7cm pots.
4122_0.jpg

Because of the overcrowdedness, those basils were quite leggy.
4121_0.jpg

However, most of them had quite nice roots - it's just a matter of space. If you don't want to grow them from seeds, dividing them from such a potted one can be an effective option.

Just one week later, all of the 15 pots are growing well. I am still looking for the next good time to pinch them again. However, they look much healthier than one week ago.

5314.jpg

5312.jpg

During this week, their established roots developed quickly in the nursery pots.
5313.jpg

5311.jpg

I also repotted a few into different planters yesterday. A mini herb garden on the window sill of my working table, with mints from cuttings, sages from seeds, and a small Geranium from cutting, too.
5310.jpg

5309.jpg

At the same time, the basils I grew from seeds also thrive in the raised beds.
5345.jpg

All roads lead to Rome, with different funs.

5348.jpg

Latest posts