Homesteader/Student in New Jersey

cstronks

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I'm a homesteader in NJ and student at Boston College who is always looking to try new things and learn more about gardens, chickens, and the joys of hobby farming. I started with a small garden, then a larger garden, then a chicken coop...the rest is history.

I'm currently working on joining a project that looks to bring fresh vegetables to more urban areas in New Jersey where produce selections are slim. I think everybody should have the opportunity to reap the benefits of a garden, and should not be limited simply because they live in a "concrete jungle". I'm sure I'll post more on this.

I found this site through BackyardChickens and I look forward to using it as a resource throughout the growing season. I'm also excited to meet new friends who share the same passions with me like gardening and food programs. I'll update my profile and add pics of the garden when I get some free time (i.e. the weekend).

Thanks!

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Welcome. It's nice to have you here with us. Looking forward to your garden pix.

Jim

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, cstronks

You seem to be in 2 or 3 different places at once. The "concrete jungle" is there in the Garden State, with your garden, correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Are you back in the garden for summer vacation (or research) from Boston College?

From this far away, I am inclined to shorten distances on the East Coast. I once had the opportunity to work and go to school at Old Sturbridge Village. Of course, I think of it as just outside of Boston.

I've often wondered how different my life would have been if I'd jumped at that opportunity ...

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, @cstronks, and Welcome! Your vision sounds very inspiring. I have always liked the idea of urban community gardens. Is this what the program involves, or is it more a delivery system into the city from the rural areas?
I think each idea has its advantages, but also some big drawbacks. I wish you and your partners much luck. We'll be following your progress, hopefully.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for introducing yourself in more depth! Hang out here and you will get to know the frequent posters as well as your next-door neighbor (or better!) It is a great site with some really fabulous helpful folks. So... Welcome from Eastern IA where the Mississippi River Runs East to West. :)