Honesty

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the honest(y tea) index is terribly unscientific.

I clicked a few things and read about how it has evolved over its few years. First, they set a cooler out with a sign: "don't touch. back in a few minutes." Or, something like that. The cooler was emptied in one case, in 15 minutes :rolleyes:. Maybe the kiosk looks like somebody cares and is generally left alone except by people who will make a purchase.

It would be wonderful to live in a society where . . . let me think for a moment . . . wow! Honesty would really throw a lot of people out of work! Well, here's to the 92% of the subversives who don't realize that! Makes me feel safer to realize there are thoughtful people outside my picket fence.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know people who splash white paint on their pine trees in Nov. Before doing so they would have a few disappear at xmas time. Now that takes balls to steal a tree.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many years ago I used to buy raw milk at a dairy that stored the milk in a big tank with a spigot. You would put your dollar in a can on the windowsill, and draw off a gallon in your own container.
Now I buy raw honey from a bee keeper who has his jars on display on a rack outside his garage. There is a strongbox with a $ slit in it. He used to just have coffee cans to put the money in, and you could make change if you needed to. But I guess the reality of the times forced him to put in some security measures.
I think someone on SS forum sells eggs out of a cooler on the driveway, with a can for money.

In rural communities, I think there are more of these "honor system" set-ups than we realize. I still believe that most of us are honest.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
I know people who splash white paint on their pine trees in Nov. Before doing so they would have a few disappear at xmas time. Now that takes balls to steal a tree.
My neighbor has a planting of evergreens on both sides of her driveway as a windbreak. Two years in a row someone stopped by and cut a "Christmas" tree out of her hedge. No way it looked like a cut-it-yourself tree farm or abandoned property. Pretty gutsy IMHO!

DH and I have often returned to or spoken up at stores when we were undercharged for purchases. It just seems to be the right thing to do and something I would hope others would do for me and mine.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow that really takes some guts to do that. And an EXTREME sense of selfishness to do that.

Out here we have a number of self pay stands. Everything from straw (the yellow bales for bedding not the green bales for food) to firewood & fruit/veggies & even pumpkins. There's always a box of some kind & the honor system is used. It gives me hope in humanity.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
a friend of ours just moved from a condo to another apartment place of some sort. in less than a day people stole the stepping stones my Mom had made for her many years ago. these are not light things that can be easily taken without someone probably noticing while it was happening.

as for the original post. i have taken a few small pieces of a few plants here or there, but most of the time 99.999% it is seeds from plants that were not dead headed or fruits/seeds that had fallen on the ground. i don't recall ever shoplifting bits of plants from a store, plants were usually not that expensive. most of the plants i got as a kid were gifts shared from other houseplant owners in the neighborhood. i often gave away roses in the neighborhood to all the Moms.

we didn't live in the city much and i didn't spend a lot of time at parks.

Latest posts