1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Rotating to a warm season green.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Honey Crisp Apple is Blooming!

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by ninnymary, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Apr 19, 2017
    Bluejay77

Bluejay77 Deeply Rooted

Since you are talking about apples. I thought some of you might enjoy reading this article about where it's believed the apple first grew in the world from which all our known apples decended from. At the bottom of my post is the link to the ariticle.

[​IMG]
    Kazakhstan’s treasure trove of wildly-flavoured apples
    The apples in our supermarkets are very likely descended from Central Asian ancestors still growing in wild Kazakhstan. The search is on to bring more of them to the world’s attention.
    BBC.COM

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/201...flavoured-apples?ocid=ww.social.link.facebook

valley ranch likes this.
  2. Apr 20, 2017
    Chickie'sMomaInNH

Chickie'sMomaInNH Garden Addicted

Nyboy, the trees were already at 3/4" calipers so they weren't whips anymore. he just thought they were part of the scrub trees growing behind them that i was trimming back with pruners over the season.

valley ranch likes this.
  3. Apr 20, 2017
    lcertuche

lcertuche Deeply Rooted

My apple tree is covered in blooms. Last year a late freeze got them except for one solitary apple that my grandson picked half ripe. This year I'm hoping for a good harvest. Peach trees are covered with peaches. Plum trees with plums and the blackberries have more blooms than I've ever seen on wild blackberries. I don't know when elderberries bloom but I'm keeping an eye on those too. My son said he noticed blooms on the mulberry tree. I haven't notice anything on the persimmon tree yet.

4. Apr 20, 2017
    valley ranch

valley ranch Garden Addicted

Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
    Don't like that Picture~huummm~

When you Grafted: You did cut from a donor that was fruiting~maybe even from a branch that had fruited!

Once at brothers place, he bought the Lord Mansion on Puget Sound, while he and Bonnie were working in the garden I did splices from tree to tree. A good long time later, I had to ask him did the grafts take, did they fruit this apple on that tree and those apples on the others?

Yes, said Johnie~why the h--- didn't you tell me~didn't you know I would be wondering, hoping~what the heck?

He just laughed~never would have told me~Johnie, darn him, what kind a brother is that~

Collector likes this.
  5. Apr 20, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

I discovered that I love persimmons last year. So I planted one. This is it's 2nd year. I'm hoping it will give at least a couple next year. My neighbor said his fruited the 3rd year and the nursery where I bought it, had an employee's bare fruit the third year also. But some people have told me it takes 5 years. Well I'm not going to believe them! :tongue

What type do you have?

Mary

6. Apr 21, 2017
    lcertuche

lcertuche Deeply Rooted

I really don't know but I'm thinking it's not a wild plant because the fruit on wild ones is a bit smaller than what I saw on this tree. I didn't get any because something got all it by time it was ripe. Every critter likes persimmons including dogs. It's like the chicken of the plant world, lol. Good luck with yours but my advice is to plant a few more trees if you actually want to get any. On the other hand one place I lived for many years had a few wild trees and they made a huge mess from all the dropped fruit. No amount of picking or stealing fruit could keep up with all of it.

valley ranch likes this.
  7. Apr 21, 2017
    valley ranch

Persimmons are a most sensuous, seductive~the type that can only be eaten when soofft.

8. Apr 21, 2017
    lcertuche

lcertuche Deeply Rooted

Sooo velvety sweet!

valley ranch likes this.
  9. Apr 21, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Just bought a Honey Crisp at $1.49lb. Safeway where I normally shop has them for $2.99lb. Will let you guys know how it tastes!

Mary

Collector and Chickie'sMomaInNH like this.
  10. Apr 21, 2017
    valley ranch

Well, one might say that normally they were dime a bag and have shot up to 3 to $5 per bag.