Honey Harvest 2017 as requested by Nyboy

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Carol please tell Jeni Ann over and over she is missed. That looks like a lot of hard work, bet the bee suits are hot too. Do you make candle with the wax ? Nice to see whole processes of collecting honey.

Sam BigDeer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great batch of pics, Carol, shows the pertinent details of honey harvesting..
Getting eight (8) gallons sounds like a really good season...
Sam

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering about the stings. Seems not bad for all of those bees. My husband has always wanted to get some hives. But I know who would be left with all the work when the novelty wore off. A bee keeper brought hives to us one spring. It took a month to fill his hives. I don't remember how many he brought. It does look like fun! Thanks for sharing.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat that is what I tell mothers when family come to see puppies. Novelty will wear off fast, mother then does all the work
My neighbor just told me he wanted to get a puppy and his boys, 12 and 14 talked him out of it. They told him they would not do any of the work and he was being irresponsible. WHAT?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Carol please tell Jeni Ann over and over she is missed. That looks like a lot of hard work, bet the bee suits are hot too. Do you make candle with the wax ? Nice to see whole processes of collecting honey.
They both where VERY warm in the suits. I was wearing jacket due to the breeze and cooler temps. So I was happy it was not a hot day to begin with. The excess honey will be drained from the waxcaps and the rest melted down. So far there isn't really enough to do much with. We have poured it into blocks and those are adding up. Not sure what to do with it. It takes a lot to make a candle of any size.

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Question, DW bought honey that said, USA, unfiltered 100% honey. Yet, it's not going to sugar, it's very runny. Any thoughts?
Seed, I don't think the crystalizing back to sugar is an indication of anything. I have had a beek tell me some years were just bad for that. And with age, I think any regular honey does that. Like, years. If yours says "unfiltered" maybe it is a local product?
But I have read that much of the honey that you buy in grocery stores is cut with simple syrup---sugar and water. Importers buy honey in bulk from overseas sources that say it is 100% honey, but there is no way of knowing.
Just like real olive oil, real honey is valuable and there are crooks out there looking to make a buck off it.
Carol Dee, I am envious of your honey, but in a good way:love

Latest posts