Honeysuckle Syrup?

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@baymule - Have you all had a chance to give your syrup a test? Your reply reminded me of the recipe, and I gave it another shot this year. We have very few vines here which is alright! I picked two cups worth, so I doubled the recipe. It gave me close to five half-pint jars! The house was filled with a sweet, pleasant smell when I poured the boiling water over the flowers. And when I combined with sugar, yet again, such a nice smell!

I will add some photos later on, as I have been taking some in the process!

P.S. Tell me- does anyone here have a good idea/recipe for dandelions or white clover? (On top of the fact I love to leave the clover to encourage honey bees in the area, who will frequent the garden later this year). I found this on White Clover, which is growing crazy here:
https://homespunseasonalliving.com/using-white-clover-food-medicine/

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting in my vocabulary means not terrible but won’t worry if Inever have it again. ;)
With all of the rain we've been having, my lawn is full of violets - hundreds of them. A neighbor on my street has been harvesting the flowers to make a syrup. She gave me a half-pint; it is deep blue, and has a very interesting flavor.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting in my vocabulary means not terrible but won’t worry if Inever have it again. ;)
In my vocabulary, "interesting" means that the syrup has a spiciness which lingers on the tongue. I just used it like any other syrup, but the neighbor who makes it says that she also mixes it with liquor. I certainly don't mind the flavor, but have no plans to make any of the syrup myself.

The violets in my yard are just beginning to bloom again, peak harvest time is probably about a week away.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
With all of the rain we've been having, my lawn is full of violets - hundreds of them. A neighbor on my street has been harvesting the flowers to make a syrup. She gave me a half-pint; it is deep blue, and has a very interesting flavor.

just drove by some lawns that were nearly covered in blooms! so beautiful. and people call them weeds! we have a few growing here or there, but they've not spread much. i think the wabbies keep getting them.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting. I've heard dandelion jelly tastes a lot like honey. The honeysuckle sounds like a very good idea. I wonder if you could make a tasty wine from the honeysuckle syrup.

*edited to add "tasty" since I know you can make wine from anything...however tasty is a whole different thing*

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dandelion jelly tastes like dilute honey to me. Too much work. Easier to support bee keepers.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
And why I don't make it. If honeysuckle has a good/and different flavor I might give it a go otherwise Ill pass.

Latest posts