1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. First Vanilla Bean Flower Pod!! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Honeysuckle Syrup?

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by HomesteaderWife, May 2, 2017.

1. May 8, 2018
    HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife Deeply Rooted

@baymule - Have you all had a chance to give your syrup a test? Your reply reminded me of the recipe, and I gave it another shot this year. We have very few vines here which is alright! I picked two cups worth, so I doubled the recipe. It gave me close to five half-pint jars! The house was filled with a sweet, pleasant smell when I poured the boiling water over the flowers. And when I combined with sugar, yet again, such a nice smell!

I will add some photos later on, as I have been taking some in the process!

P.S. Tell me- does anyone here have a good idea/recipe for dandelions or white clover? (On top of the fact I love to leave the clover to encourage honey bees in the area, who will frequent the garden later this year). I found this on White Clover, which is growing crazy here:
    https://homespunseasonalliving.com/using-white-clover-food-medicine/

2. May 9, 2018
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

3. May 9, 2018
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

Interesting in my vocabulary means not terrible but won’t worry if Inever have it again. ;)

4. May 9, 2018
    Zeedman

Zeedman Deeply Rooted

In my vocabulary, "interesting" means that the syrup has a spiciness which lingers on the tongue. I just used it like any other syrup, but the neighbor who makes it says that she also mixes it with liquor. I certainly don't mind the flavor, but have no plans to make any of the syrup myself.

The violets in my yard are just beginning to bloom again, peak harvest time is probably about a week away.

flowerbug likes this.
  5. May 9, 2018
    flowerbug

flowerbug Deeply Rooted

just drove by some lawns that were nearly covered in blooms! so beautiful. and people call them weeds! we have a few growing here or there, but they've not spread much. i think the wabbies keep getting them.

HomesteaderWife likes this.