HOOP COOP

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have more pictures for you @ninnymary !! I built a hoop coop the last week of May. I had chicks in the house, they were driving me nuts and I wanted them OUT! I built the whole thing out of stuff I already had. The tin for the roof was used, the treated lumber for the frame came off the half off rack at Lowes, as did the 2 sheets of USB board I used for the back. Several years ago I swapped 2 jars of home made sweet pickles for a partial roll of 1"x1/2" rabbit wire, used for the cage bottoms. I did have to go buy screws. ;)

First I laid out my treated 2"x4" boards.

Hop frame 1.jpg

After I squared them up, screwed them together, I was ready for the cow panels.

Hop square.jpg

Hop frame panel.jpg

I got the cow panels dragged in place, then bowed them up, one at a time and stapled in place.

Hop one panel.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Continuing......

To keep the panels off the ground, I used a brick for a spacer so they wouldn't stick out below the 2x4's

Hop brick spacer.jpg

I kept my tools neatly organized in the top of a trash can. I could put everything in it and just pick up the whole thing and put it up in the storage room when I was done for the day.

Hop tools.jpg

hop-panels-jpg.9812

I connected the panels together with hog rings. Hog rings are originally made for clamping in a hogs nose to keep them from rooting up the pens. But I use them for everything but that. I love hog rings!

Hop hog ring wire.jpg

Hop hog ring pliers.jpg

Attachments

• Hop panels.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,151

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
For some reason that last picture wouldn't load right. If you click on it, you should be able to see it. I also used the hog rings to attach all the rabbit wire around the bottom of the coop. Time to put the back on! I cut a 2x4 for the center spline, then held up other 2x4's to mark the angle so I could cut them to fit. I absolutely suck at figuring angles and cutting them, but the chickens have never complained. I put the board up to the end of the coop and propped a 2x4 against it so I could mark it off where it needed cutting.

Hop back.jpg

Hop draw back.jpg

Then I cut it. I have a jig saw, just couldn't find it at that particular time. I have since unpacked more boxes in the storage building and was joyfully reunited with the jigsaw! But I didn't want to take the time to wade through piles of boxes looking for that elusive ONE box, so I made do.

Hop saw back.jpg

I LOVE my Hitachi cordless drill!!!! :love
Hop screw back.jpg

So far, I was doing this by myself. At this time, my husband was still working, so I didn't have that extra hand when needed, so I made do. I got the back pieces firmly screwed in place!

Hop prop back.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the rabbit wire hog ringed in place around the bottom. Then I built the door frame. You can see my exclusive custom made door leaning up against the side of the coop, waiting to be installed. How do ya like that criss-cross bunch of mis-cut 2x4's on the back? And the 2x4 roost? :lol:

Hop door frame.jpg

I used that little plastic stool to sit on as I hog ringed my way around the coop. I hung the door and filled in the sides with rabbit wire. I tried to put the tin on the roof and ran into something I couldn't do by myself. So I called Robert, our neighbor and he was happy to come help. I had 1"x4" boards for runners on the inside and he held them in place while I was on the outside screwing the corrugated tin in place. In no time we had it on and the coop was done!

Hop front.jpg

See the angled cut 2x4 in the above corner? That is a brace to wedge in the outside corner for strength. I cut the side runners longer than the coop so they would stick out for bracing. I have screw eyes to put in place so I can drag it to someplace else if I want to. I have those braces in place now.

Hop side.jpg

Still needing a few finishing touches, but for practical purposes, done.
Moving day!!

Hop chicks.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I built this coop in four days. I finished on May 29, we were leaving for Florida on June 1. My Mom went in the hospital on May 31. we stayed home and our kids and grand kids went to Florida without us. Mom died on Fathers Day.

I left the hole above the door uncovered. I kept thinking I needed to get wire over it, but with everything going on, I neglected to do so. An owl got 6 of my 12 pullets in a couple of nights before I realized it and I got the durn hole covered. I was mad at myself for it, but what is done is done.

I have plans for another more permanent coop. This will then transform to my grow out coop for chicks. Being mobile, I can drag it around and give the chicks fresh ground/grass. I LOVE HOOP COOPS!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Bay, I am impressed! That coop looks really good. I could never do something like that. Last weekend I did manage to screw on 2 light switch plates. I was so proud. That was the extent of me helping my husband remodel a bathroom. :rolleyes:

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Bay, I am impressed! That coop looks really good. I could never do something like that. Last weekend I did manage to screw on 2 light switch plates. I was so proud. That was the extent of me helping my husband remodel a bathroom. :rolleyes:

Mary

I think that's so smart Mary! Men need to feel needed.:D

Latest posts