Hoping More Folks Join the LITTLE EASY BEAN NETWORK

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ has varieties that he has a good amount of seed and can send you some. Some as in not all of them. That way, if you have a crop failure, he is still ok, he just needs to refresh his seeds. Last year, I grew mine in big tubs. They did ok the first part of the year, took a vacation in the 100+ heat and got back to work when it cooled off a little. It worked out just fine.

So if any of ya'll are thinking that you might be the kiss of death on a rare bean of which there are only 3 seeds left in the whole world, then ask him for some that he has plenty of, but needs them grown to keep them viable. Join the fun and feel good that you are doing your part to help keep old varieties from disappearing.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
As for soil -- try putting three bags of potting soil on the ground around a pole, under the eaves, or along fencing. Cut slits in the tops and bottoms. Plant bean seeds in the tops and let'm go. Little need for water in the sacks. Plenty of the heat beans like to grow. Few weeds.

I've done this with gourds and squash, except I dumped the dirt out and encircled it with rocks, right up against my chainlink fence and let them climb. Works great!

You could even mulch to camouflage the bags. :)

Latest posts