Hot Stuff! Too many Green CAYENNE PEPPERS! What to do?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most peppers I have worked with, you can de-seed with a spoon easily enough. I have had luck, even with the small ones. Either that or just wear disposable gloves!

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I do wear gloves when I'm doing a lot of them- but after a while I am weeping and sniffling!

I have one of the simple metal vegetable peelers, it works GREAT at coring larger peppers! You can cut the top off a jalapeno or serrano, core it and be done in a few seconds.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ranchhand said:
I have one of the simple metal vegetable peelers, it works GREAT at coring larger peppers! You can cut the top off a jalapeno or serrano, core it and be done in a few seconds.
I had never thought to do that. Good tip!

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ranchhand said:
I do wear gloves when I'm doing a lot of them- but after a while I am weeping and sniffling!

I just whiz 'em up in the processor, seeds and all.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you're undecided, do what ya want with the ones ya know what to do with, and chop and freeze the rest :)

(since you're too big a meanie to share with the rest of us... LOL)

Another good use for fresh ones would be a pico de gallo type salsa, just chop up a judicious amount with some fresh chopped tomato and sweet onion and a little lime juice and/or white vinegar.

Some of the frozen peppers (thawed first) would be good next time you make cornbread, just mix 'em right in before putting in the pan.

Pat, with one (1) jalapeno about half-mature on one plant, and no more coming on due to our recent incredibly cool weather... I will probably have to buy hot peppers at the market again this year, sigh

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mmmmm . . . yeah we love the jalapeno corn bread at my house. We freeze jalapenos just for that.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I throw a few in the jars when I'm making pickles to make hot pickles. Also, I'll dry them, and then grind them up (WARNING: Watch out for the dust when you do this!!!!!). My DH uses them when I make Indian & Thai food to spice it up (I'm not that brave!).

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I took some dried anch peppers one day, ground them into a killer chile powder. Forgot to let the dust settle before I took the top off the processor- you can imagine the weeping and sneezing!

Latest posts