How 2020 is going

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gotta start somewhere right? Something something the second best time to plant a tree is now (assuming it can survive the first endless winter). I like the idea of not being too hard on myself with the inevitable failures we will certainly face and learn the adjustments we need to make in the future BUT not biting off more than we can chew in the first year. I've been reading a lot about herbalism this winter and I'm also really looking forward to the medicinal herb garden and exploring the effects plants have on general fitness and well being.

Snow on my garden again last night has slowed me down today. Your medicinal herb garden sounds wonderful. I should replant mine. Over the last few years I quit taking care of it or dehydrating anything. The only plants I did have were thyme, oregano, a few different kinds of mint, sage, 1 Rosemary plant and I had a couple of lavender plants. I have comfrey plants that I have never used. They will get tall and covered in flowers and bumblebees will be all over them. Then they get too tall and fall over and I cut them and put in the compost bin. I have not seen bumblebees like that for a couple of years.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i wonder if birds will eat onion seeds scattered on the ground? i have a lot of old onion seeds that likely aren't going to grow and it wouldn't mind me if they were birdie food... if some of them come up and grow that would be ok too...

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i wonder if birds will eat onion seeds scattered on the ground? i have a lot of old onion seeds that likely aren't going to grow and it wouldn't mind me if they were birdie food... if some of them come up and grow that would be ok too...
I heard that they are toxic to many animals, including birds, cats, and dogs. did some research about it as well. since its a great idea, I would love to learn more, let's help each other about this alright?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I heard that they are toxic to many animals, including birds, cats, and dogs. did some research about it as well. since its a great idea, I would love to learn more, let's help each other about this alright?

looks like most references say don't feed them to birds. not sure how much this is science v.s. opinion, but i won't do it until i know better. anyways, as it turns out the worms will eat the sprouts from them just fine. :)

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have found out what was wrong with me. Basically just the stress of the whole thing with DH. My sympathetic nervous system just going all the time. The chiropractor has stopped all the breathing problems. I find myself strong daily. I still go to the chiropractor about every 2 weeks. I recently got my blood work done right before all the stock market and virus news. I have low B12 and something else, which he says I do not have enough stomach acid to get the nutrients out of my food. My thyroid is low. The TSH was normal, but with a full thyroid panel I am very low. My homocysteine is very high, but CRP normal. My cholesterol and LDL high, but the good cholesterol HDL is high too. My fibrinogen is high. Glucose, A1c normal. My total protein is low. My liver enzymes are low. My kidney function is not good, but by the numbers I saw on blood work when I had the blood clots, my kidney function has improved from 2 years ago. So, he has a plan for me with eating and supplements, if the supplements can be bought. All the naturopathic doctors are stocking up. My garden is going to be very important. I should have been eating better for the last few years. DS going to the chiropractor has improved dramatically and was going to the gym and running and then the gym closed. He is helping me with the garden and we are so much better off.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I am so glad to hear that the chiropractic work is working on both you and your son. I usually don't have much faith in them but have since learned that they are not all the same. My husband has been going to one for several months now and his heal pain is all gone now. I started seeing him too for a hip pain that comes and goes when I'm laying in bed. I don't know if it's a pinched nerve or not. But I had only gone to him twice before this crisis hit. Most things usually take a couple of months before you notice a difference.

I think 15 minutes a day is great. Start small so as not to tax your body. That's almost 2 hours in a week, enough to see some progress. It all adds up. You say you think you will soon be able to go longer. Just be careful and listen to your body. I know you are already doing that. Have a timer set at 17 minutes a day. Then maybe after 3-4 days if you feel like it add another minute or two.

Get that comfrey going! We need all the bees we can get. Just being outside in greenery is very healthful and therapeutic so you and your son keep up doing stuff in the garden.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I am so glad to hear that the chiropractic work is working on both you and your son. I usually don't have much faith in them but have since learned that they are not all the same. My husband has been going to one for several months now and his heal pain is all gone now. I started seeing him too for a hip pain that comes and goes when I'm laying in bed. I don't know if it's a pinched nerve or not. But I had only gone to him twice before this crisis hit. Most things usually take a couple of months before you notice a difference.

I think 15 minutes a day is great. Start small so as not to tax your body. That's almost 2 hours in a week, enough to see some progress. It all adds up. You say you think you will soon be able to go longer. Just be careful and listen to your body. I know you are already doing that. Have a timer set at 17 minutes a day. Then maybe after 3-4 days if you feel like it add another minute or two.

Get that comfrey going! We need all the bees we can get. Just being outside in greenery is very healthful and therapeutic so you and your son keep up doing stuff in the garden.

Mary

Thank you Mary! I am glad your husband found a good one and I hope you get to continue to go. I am a little worried if I will be able to go. Idaho just shut down non-essential businesses for 21 days, but I called them and they said they were considered essential. I am going Friday and then probably not for 3 weeks. I can go longer and longer now. I am doing so much better. I did not realize how much strength I have lost in my arms. I pick up Evelyn and she is almost 30 pounds and I have cat liter about 25 pounds. I bought 40 pounds and really struggled to pick it up and then I filled the wheelbarrow and it felt so much heavier. I think understanding what is wrong with me has helped the most. I hope you stay safe through all this. It will pass. I feel sorry for people without gardens and no hobbies.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Definitely work on arm strength. Do you have #3-5 weights? You can sometimes find them at Ross but now you are shut down. Find something around the house that weights that much and do arm lifts with it. Hold it at shoulder level and raise it up. Do 3 sets of 10 on each arm. You can do them every day or every other day depending on how you feel. You can also do push ups against your kitchen counter. Again 3 sets of 10. You can take a minute rest after each set.

Mary

Latest posts