How are your melons?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have 40 watermelon and 40 cantaloupe plants and all are dead now. About 60 little watermelons are dark brown and the cantaloupe vines look OK but no fruit at all. We really enjoy the melons each year but not this year. Anyone else having drought related problems with melons?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i planted a few watermelons and cantaloupes in with my potatoes (around the outside) and they have been very poor this year with lack of rain. the soil feels damp to the touch since i've kept straw down for the potatoes but i think it has been too hot and humid most of the summer here and now we've been going through drought conditions the past couple weeks where it has been dryer than usual. even with watering they look lousy vs my squash and pumpkins.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the first year I have tried cantaloupe in many years, but it is doing pretty good. I planted a French variety called Chantarelle or something like that, that I received from a poster on SS. She says they are small melons, but good and sweet. I am trying to train them up the fence, but they want to go visit the pole beans.

Oh wait--I think the nice member that sent me the cantaloupe seeds is on this forum, and BYC.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both my watermelons and musk melons are looking good- but they would have been dried up and dead long ago, if I hadn't been able to keep them watered. The day the area says no hose watering, my entire garden will be gone...Sad times indeed.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Nothing on my watermelon plants yet, the male flowers just started on the two moon and stars variety I have and NOTHING so far on the carolina cross. My 2 canteloupe plants (Sweet N Early) each have 8 decently sized fruit on them, about the size of a baseball right now.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was reluctant to open this out of anxiety to having to admit to "pathetic" melons again this year :rolleyes:.

Then, I see melon death & destruction due to drought elsewhere. I am sorry. I know how much I look forward to them.

My melon plants are just puny from the spring cold . . . I have had them die, not from frost just from the cold, in years past. So, I should just be happy that they survived. How well & how much they produce is yet to be seen.

Steve

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I didnt bother planting melons this year. I'm always a failure with them.

BTW: your subject wording made me laugh :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have 1 vine that popped up on its own. I forgot to plant and really didn't have the space for it. The first melon on that vine, just shriveled up and gave up. Then 2 more started. One of them is now like 24" long and so big I can barely pick it up and its NOT done growing. That second one just kind grew football size and I haven't seen it grow since.

I'm guessing we've not having issues, however, I only have the 1 vine to go by here?!:(

fair weather chicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
first time in years we have watermelons, one little bigger than a football, many on their way up. pulled one off that had shriveled up. but this is all because we have watered, watered, watered. we are classified as severe drought area down 6+ inches of rain since may.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Planted sugar baby watermelon, they are struggling, they have fruit, but doubt they will ripen before the vines die. I planted younger ones several weeks later they are looking better, they had no fruit when the hot dry hit, I'm hoping by the time their fruit gets larger the weather will have broke and we will get more rain for them.

I also planted charentis melon (cantalope) it is looking good, haven't harvested any yet, but they look good, both the vine and the fruit.

Latest posts