How did the Internet come about ```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
No, No they say ~ there was this guy in England that did it ```
===============================================================================

President Dwight D. Eisenhower saw the need for the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) after the Soviet Union's 1957 launch of Sputnik ... The organization united some of America's most brilliant people, who developed the United States' first successful satellite in 18 months. Several years later ARPA began to focus on computer networking and communications technology.

In 1962, Dr. J.C.R. Licklider was chosen to head ARPA's research in improving the military's use of computer technology. Licklider was a visionary who sought to make the government's use of computers more interactive. To quickly expand technology, Licklider saw the need to move ARPA's contracts from the private sector to universities and laid the foundations for what would become the ARPANET ...

Around Labor Day in 1969, BBN delivered an Interface Message Processor (IMP) to UCLA that was based on a Honeywell DDP 516, and when they turned it on, it just started running. It was hooked by 50 Kbps circuits to two other sites (SRI and UCSB) in the four-node network: UCLA, Stanford Research Institute (SRI), UC Santa Barbara (UCSB), and the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.

"We set up a telephone connection between us and the guys at SRI...," Kleinrock ... said in an interview: "We typed the L and we asked on the phone,

"Do you see the L?"
"Yes, we see the L," came the response.
"We typed the O, and we asked, "Do you see the O."
"Yes, we see the O."
"Then we typed the G, and the system crashed"...

The point that I do want to dust off and raise again is that ARPA wouldn't have happened, if what used to be the Soviet Union hadn't shaken complacent U.S. awake with a tin can in the sky, Sputnik.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Do you ever wonder what it was like before you could toss your leftovers in the microwave, hop on a jumbo jet, or pull up … well … anything on the Internet? Probably not, and you can thank the U.S. military for not needing to.

The Defense Department has come up with some pretty cool gadgets and gizmos over the years, especially during wartime. Many of them have been passed along for civilian use, completely changing all of our lives.

Here are six that have truly enhanced the way we operate on a daily basis.

http://www.dodlive.mil/2016/03/01/6-technologies-you-use-all-the-time-thanks-to-the-dod/

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you ever wonder what it was like before you could toss your leftovers in the microwave, hop on a jumbo jet, or pull up … well … anything on the Internet?

Nope, I'm old enough to remember when these things did not exist. No microwave, no internet, no commercial jet travel, no VCRs, no cable, satellite, or color TV, and I remember going out into my grandparents' yard to watch sputnik travel across the sky. We used encyclopedias and libraries for research, and paper road maps to navigate. (The last I still do.)